Tuesday, January 10, 2012

he thinks my waddle's sexy.

Last week, Chris and I were watching a movie. I paused it for a second to get something from the kitchen, and walked past him. I heard him chuckle. "Are you laughing at my waddling?" I asked. He replied, "You are so beautiful, and you are looking very pregnant." Luckily, I have a husband who thinks I'm extra beautiful when pregnant (either that, or he's a great liar). I proceeded to sing a fabulous version of "He thinks my waddle's sexy" to the tune of "She thinks my tractor's sexy", then continued on to the kitchen to get more to eat.

We're large and in charge around these parts.
And only getting larger.

[28 weeks comparison between Carly pregnancy and me last week; same shirt]

Off I went to the doctor this morning for yet another look at the kids. Miss A is a whopping 3 lbs 3oz (71st percentile for a singleton) and Boy B is 2 lbs 15 oz (49th percentile for a singleton). So I'm rocking over 6 lbs of baby right now and measuring 36 cm, at 29 weeks. I've also got sciatic nerve pain and round ligament pain working hand-in-hand to cause me to cry out in pain randomly and limp around like I have a peg leg. I've got one round ligament on the right side that causes a sharp, stabbing pain every time Miss A kicks or pushes on it. I've got bags under my eyes because I wake up about 5 times a night to make the mighty roll over to my other side when my hips start to burn, and I'm breaking out like a 14-year-old.

I'm a beautiful sight.

But you know what's a really beautiful sight?

These kids:


They are just darling, and I love watching them every month. Today was a bit frustrating though, as we found out that Boy B flipped, and is now breech. Miss A hasn't budged from her head-down position, waiting at the exit. She is ready to get this party over with. But Boy appears to be a trouble-maker already and is making things complicated. My doctor said we still plan on a "regular" delivery, since Miss A is first and bigger, which could possibly lead to Boy being delivered breech . . . the doctor would pull him out by his feet very quickly after his big sister comes. This is not something I want, and will be praying my little heart out for him to flip again if at all possible. Fingers crossed.

But they are healthy and growing and still cooking, and that's what matters most.

The number 1 question I get asked when chatting about the twins is if I can feel them separately. The answer is yes, but only because I know one is on the left and one on the right. Some movements in the middle I can't identify. Boy's movements do tend to be more jerky, Miss's are more fluid (for right now, might be because she is bigger). They often move just one at a time, so one side will be going crazy while the other side is still. And when they get moving at the same time . . . it can get a little wild. Sometimes it feels like they are rocking my body around. They also have the tendency to push out away from my body, creating two camel bumps, and it cracks me up even if it kills my round ligaments.

It doesn't show up well on camera, but here's an attempt:


We also get asked a lot how this is all going to work.
Well, there is a plan, and then there is what will happen. The plan is to put them in our room until they are sleeping consistently through the night and have a bedtime routine they can share with Carly. Our room is big, so we'll have the crib in there and a bassinet. We plan on them co-sleeping in the one crib. When they are old enough, we'll get a second crib, either through donation or just buying another one, and put all three of our beautiful children in the spacious master bedroom, and Chris and I will move to the second bedroom (which is a pretty good size, too). That is the plan. Who knows what will actually happen.

We've been given a second carseat, and have received boxes of boy clothes in the mail from outrageously generous friends. I pulled out Carly's old clothes, and we now have mountains of clothes and blankets, pink and blue, waiting to be washed and put into the dresser that Chris's parents are giving us.

To say we are blessed is an understatement, and I have literally been brought to tears several times over the last few weeks when I look at all we have been blessed with in preparation for these babies. We can't express out gratitude at the outpouring of love.

The first few weeks will be extremely experimental, as we adjust to schedules and nighttime feedings and having two newborns and a toddler. I expect pure chaos, but know we can also find joy in it all. 

[Carly with "baby brother and baby sister", as she calls them. She came up with that on her own.]

Getting the carseats ready, organizing clothes, cleaning out closets, making shopping lists and to-do lists, and this ever growing belly have shown me something in the last few days: this is real. There are really two babies coming. I still can't wrap my head around this. But as I've said before, my heart is full, and our family certainly wouldn't be complete without them.

[Brushing up on my swaddling skills with my first baby; she squealed "I'm in a cocoon!"]

Less than two months to go (probably).
The countdown is on.

3 comments:

Alixa said...

I love reading about your adventures with the twins already. Im sure it will only get better! Pregnancy pains are WAY worse with the second pregnancy, I can only imagine how you are coping with two in there. I remember my hips hurt so bad at night I didnt sleep at all. Good luck with everything!

Taryn said...

Erin, you really look great! I don't think I commented, but on one of your last posts that showed a full shot of you in the mirror I thought you look so cute! Yes, your belly may be a little bigger this time around but the rest of you still looks tiny to me! As for baby boy being breech, it sounds like your doctor still thinks vaginal is going to happen so that is awesome! If you do end up needing a c-section try not to stress about it! It isn't too bad and I know you would be fine. We still have Eliza in our room and I thought there was no way that was going to still be happening this far into it, so if things don't go according to plan with TWO babies in the mix then I think you will be in the same boat as the rest of us :) Looks like you got some swaddle blankets...love them!

Becky said...

I love your pictures! Your belly is so cute, and those babies are ADORABLE! I love their little noses! Here's hoping baby boy stops making trouble for his mommy!