Tuesday, January 3, 2012

a whole new year.

We kicked the New Year off with a bang.
Well, a "bang" by our definition, being the laid-back, pregnant, toddler bunch that we are.
But it was the perfect way to send out 2011 and welcome in 2012.

On New Year's Eve we headed to the mall and made some Christmas returns, did a little shopping, rode the toys even though mommy wouldn't give in and put quarters in them, and threw pennies in the fountain.

Then we headed to Red Robin for lunch, where it turns out they have gluten-free hamburger buns. I had my first restaurant-style burger with a toasted greasy warm bun in 6 years. I was in heaven. Not only that, but I ordered a burger with a fried egg on it, something I've wanted to try since seeing it on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. So many dreams coming true all at once.

[Carly and mommy, perfectly defined on the last day of 2011; Carly is a spaz at Red Robin.]

That evening we carried on our tradition of a New Year's Eve finger-food picnic dinner and sparkling cider.
It was yummy, and I couldn't think of a single place I would rather be that evening than having a picnic in the living room with my 2 favorite people in the world. We watched Planet Earth during the picnic, and we think we'll make that a new tradition. It really is fascinating, and Carly loved watching the animals.


[Carly was very excited about the picnic on a blankie.]

Before we put Carly down, we counted down to "midnight" and said "Happy New Year!" and blew on little party horns. Carly loved it and afterwards cheered "Again!". So, of course, we did it again.

After she went down, I tried really hard to watch a movie with Chris, and caught a decent amount of it before I started drifting off. I got ready for bed, and we managed to watch the ball drop before I passed out.

On Monday, we were scheduled to head to the Ikea outside Detroit. But a winter storm was expected, so we decided to put it off. Instead, we headed to a local pet store that has lots of cool animals and a bridge with a little pond with huge fish in it. We looked at the fish and the birds and the bunnies and the mice and the snakes and the frogs and the spiders. We even saw Dory and Nemo. But no matter where we went, Carly just wanted to go back to the bridge and "the big shish!". The store in general was a hit, though, and a perfect little winter outing that I'm sure we'll use a few more times before spring arrives.


We've had a good start to this brand new year.
Resolutions?
I usually make some, though they vary in specificity and loftiness.

This year, I really only have one:

When 2012 comes to a close, I want to have a happy, healthy family of five that is close to each other and close to God, and that has had a year full of wonderful memories.

That's all that matters.

Oh, and I want to run my first real race. Just a 5k. I'm thinking a breast cancer one in October. I miss running so much, and can't wait to get back to the gym.

And I plan to lose around 30 to 40 lbs during the month of March.
Just saying.

Happy 2012.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Best family goal. Ever.

Laura said...

We have a finger food party on new years eve too! We may have to try the picnic blanket thing. I like it. Happy New Year! It is going to be a great one for you all!