Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Engagementversary

Well, today is 2 years to the day Chris proposed (and I said yes). Its crazy how much can happen in two years! And its crazy how time can feel like it crawling by and flying by at the same time.
But for those of you who haven't heard, here are a few funny stories from our "courtship" that are classic:

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face~~
The first time I ever saw Chris was near the beginning of my first semester at BYU (I know, I was a young one). He stood up with the bishopric, since he was executive sectretary, to be introduced. I assumed he was married, since I thought the whole bishopric had to be. I leaned over to my roommated and said "Its too bad the executive secretary is married; he is pretty hot". Ha ha--I sound really 18 years old, don't I?

The First Conversation~~
Our first conversation took place one Sunday night after ward prayer. We were at--I don't even remember what is really called, we called it "Snack and Mack"--where you eat treats and meet people. Well we ended up in the same apartment and struck up a conversation. I learned he served his mission in Germany, and since my brother was then serving in Belgium, we had a pretty long discussion about European missions and I told him some stuff my brother had sent in emails etc. A minute later, he asked about my family. I respond: "Well, I have 3 brothers. One is married, and the one on a mission. . . " Chris: "Oh really? where is he serving?" Me: "In Belgium, like we talked about" My head was really saying 'don't you remember the 5 minute conversation we just had about this?' That night I talked to my mom on the phone and told her I met a really cute guy, but he seemed kind of dumb (really, its true, ask her).
Ring Shopping:
Proposal Re-enactment (forgot the camera for the actual event):

The Proposal~~
Skip ahead 7 months and you'll reach the proposal. We had a really hard time finding a ring, but I finally found "the one" in Idaho one weekend. That Sunday, March 5, we headed back to Provo later than we wanted to. We got home kind of late and I was tired, so I was pretty upset when Chris told me he needed to go up Provo Canyon to do an astronomy project. He said it was due the next day, and I was VERY upset he had put it off until the last minute. But I agreed to go up with him anyway. On the drive up I realized it was cloudy and there weren't any stars visible. I mentioned this to Chris and he said "Yeah, you can also observe the clouds for this project because they rotate around an axis". Any 2nd grader has learned clouds don't rotate around an axis, but for some reason I believed him, and still didn't suspect anything. I think the Lord helps men when it comes to a suprise proposal, because this should have been blatantly obvious. (Oh, later when I contronted him about lying to me, Chris said it wasn't lying, it was "celestial deceit"). So we finally make it up the Canyon and he put a blanket down and I plop down on it to "watch the clouds". Well, its hard to get down on one knee and propose when the girl is lying down on the blanket in a bad mood. So he casually said trees were blocking his view and could I get up so he could move the blanket? I got up, still a little annoyed. Then he took my hands and got down on one knee. This is where things go fuzzy, but I remember tears and hugging and diamonds and the word "yes".


Well, two years later we are happily married, winding up college, and looking forward to new stages in our lives. But most of the time I still feel like that new freshman calling my 'married' executive secretary hot;-)

No comments: