Friday, March 14, 2008

Small Scare, but All is Well

The last 24 hours gave us a health scare that made us appreaciate each other and the Lord a little more. It all turned out fine, and was really no big deal; but that is a lot easier to say in hindsight! So yesterday I went to the doctor for a regular check-up and the nurse practitioner started feeling my stomach. She got this weird look on her face and got a doctor. They both felt a strong pulse in my stomach, stronger than I guess is normal. They told us it would be good to get an ultrasound to check my aorta to make sure there wasn't an aneurysm. 'Aneurysm' is a scary word when it comes out of a doctor's mouth! We scheduled an ultra-sound for the next day (today) and went home nervous.

An aortic aneurysm is a bulge in the aorta, which is the artery that feeds blood to the lower half of the body. An aortic aneurysm, if large enough, requires surgery in the abdomen to fix it.
All day today I was very nervous. In what turned out to be a huge mistake, I looked aortic aneurysm up on WebMD and learned way TOO MUCH. That was about the time my brain ran away with me. Before I knew it I was planning what I would say to my professor if I had to get emergency surgery and wondering if BYU would let me withdraw without any W's. Finally, we made it to the appointment. The ultra-sound lady did her thing. It was making me nervous because she kept going over 'the spot' over and over again. Finally she finished up. Thankfully, she said she didn't see anything to worry about. She sent the results to the doctor, and later we got a call from him, officially saying there was nothing to worry about. We have been so worried the past day, and we are so grateful it turned out just fine!

No comments: