Sunday, March 30, 2008

Welcome to Relief Society


Well, I've been a real slacker with the whole "what did you learn at church today" thing. But that doesn't mean I give up. ha ha. Today I is different though, as its not about something specific. Last Sunday night as we got back into town from Idaho, we called the 2nd counselor in our Bishopric (he had called earlier), and asked when he wanted to come talk to us. He said that night would be best--it was 9:00 at night. Oh, great, I thought; Chris had 2 callings already, what are they going to do now. Turns out is wasn't for Chris. He called me to be 2nd counselor in our ward's new relief society presidency. Surprise!! I didn't even know our current president was leaving.

As for what 'I learned in church today': First, when the Lord says he will take you weaknesses and make them strong, He isn't kidding. Being in the Relief Society presidency completely exploits all my weaknesses (I'll spare you the details). I only pray those weaknesses become strengths (sooner rather than later, please). Second, sometimes things you think you don't want have the potential to become the answer to prayers. For a while I've felt like I'm struggling making friends in this new ward. Its hard for me to approach new people and strike up a conversation, so its my weakness that is preventing me from getting to know people. I'm looking forward to getting to know more of the girls in my ward and feeling a little more "at home" there.

So despite the unexpected nature of this new calling, I'm exciting for a new challenging experience. We'll see how it goes. . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're going to be so great, Erin! I was so excited when I heard the bishop announce your call today! :)

michelle said...

I was so glad to see you yesterday morning (although it would have been better not at 8:00!) I don't know that my brain was functioning properly, so if you have any questions about my jibberish, let me know! You really are going to do a wonderful job. If I can do anything to help you, please let me know. I'll send you that Stake Enrichment list soon. And does this help or hinder making decisions about grad school?

JoSue said...

Hey Erin it's JoSue (Nelson) Rudd! I found you through Michelle Richard's blog. She's in my ward and also my next door neighbor! How do you know each other?