Saturday, November 8, 2008

What is This, the 1830-40s?

So I was chuckling to myself about how in my Cooling Runnings post I said I was taking a break from politics, and my very next post was about Conservatism. Well, I'm not done yet. But actually, today its not about politics. Today is about religion (don't they tell you never to talk politics or religion?). In the few days since the election, I have been driven nearly to tears on more than one occasion from the persecution the Church (the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, that is) has faced since Proposition 8 was passed (a big shout-out to California for passing Prop 8!). Anti-Prop 8 folks are giving all the blame (or credit) of the Prop 8 pass to the LDS Church. On election night I was sent a message about a commercial that an anti-prop group (I don't remember their name, something about "courage") made. It depicted two young men, clearly supposed to be Mormon missionaries, knocking on a lesbian couple's door and saying "Hi, we're from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and we're here to take away your rights." The commercial went on the show the two 'missionaries' pillaging the home until they found the couple's marriage certificate and tearing it to pieces. I was so furious. So mad it drove me to tears. How come anti-Prop people are allowed to share their opinions, but when the Church stands up for what is right, we are a bunch of bigots?

On Thursday anti-Prop people staged a protest march on the Los Angeles Temple. I watched a video of it at work, and was once again almost in tears. They were shouting hateful things, had signs saying "Go to Hell, Mormons" and were banging, yes banging, on the gates of the Temple. It gave me chills. What is this, the 1830-40s? I was telling C about it, about how they weren't organized or peaceful or respectable, or trying to get a meaningful point across. They were wild and hateful. They were like . . . . a mob? C asked. Yes. That was exactly it. And our Church doesn't have the best history with mobs. Remember Kirtland? And Independence? And Far West? And Nauvoo? This isn't the same, I know, but I've never seen the Church persecuted like this, not right in front of my face on CNN Video. I was sick, watching them bang on the gates of our glimmering white temple. Then I couldn't help but think, could the people inside the Temple hear them? Probably not, they build those temples pretty sound-proof. But can you imagine if they could? Or if you looked out out the window or walked out the door and saw that mob? Talk about leaving Zion and walking straight into Babylon. Then I proceeded to read the comments posted below the video--big mistake. One man said the Romans had it right, all Christians should have been killed a long time ago (what? how is that not discriminatory?). Another man said he lived in Utah--he knew all about that evil Mormon cult and their founder James Smith (not even kidding--he said James Smith). So much hate. And this whole time the Church has insisted this isn't about hate or money or politics or power; its about family.
People who are pro-gay marriage have a right to say so, but do it civilly. Do it gracefully. Not like this:
My father in law said a while ago that he believed this is the issue that would ultimately divide the Church from the rest of the world. I think he's right.
And of course the mainstream media would never mention this, but the Church actually came out with an official statement on the election results. This is an excerpt from the Church's website:
Most likely, the election results for these constitutional amendments will not mean an end to the debate over same-sex marriage in this country.

We hope that now and in the future all parties involved in this issue will be well informed and act in a spirit of
mutual respect and civility toward those with a different position. No one on any side of the question should be vilified, intimidated, harassed or subject to erroneous information.

It is important to understand that this issue for the Church has always been about the sacred and
divine institution of marriage — a union between a man and a woman.

Allegations of bigotry or persecution made against the Church were and are simply wrong. The Church’s opposition to same-sex marriage neither constitutes nor condones any kind of hostility toward gays and lesbians. Even more, the Church does not object to rights for same-sex couples regarding hospitalization and medical care, fair housing and employment rights, or probate rights, so long as these do not infringe on the integrity of the traditional family or the constitutional rights of churches.

Some, however, have mistakenly asserted that churches should not ever be involved in politics when moral issues are involved. In fact, churches and religious organizations are well within their constitutional rights to speak out and be engaged in the many moral and ethical problems facing society. While the Church does not endorse candidates or platforms, it does reserve the right to speak out on important issues.

I love the Temple.
I love the Gospel.
The last few days have been emotionally difficult for me. Watching people persecute and desecrate something they do not understand and are never willing to understand. I'm grateful for a loving Heavenly Father, who will take care of his people, even if it involves challenging them along the way. And I'm grateful for a Prophet who is a Prophet regardless of what the World says. And I'm grateful that when the world is crazy and people are banging on temple gates and seeking to take away testimonies and destroy the family and challenge the very God that created them, I can come home to my loving righteous husband, close the door, and remember who we are and what we know.

8 comments:

Steve said...

What a profound post! I commend you for your passion and courage in posting this. Sarah and I would both like for you to know that we agree with you.

The Godfrey's

Anonymous said...

Hey Erin...

I read your blog. We are living in LA right now and its been on the news this past week. The temple was closed for a few days too. The protestors have left the temple area and are protesting all around the Southern California area. But, i called my sister in law and she said that people weren't protesting up in Northern California. Instead, they did it all before the elections.

We are so glad Prop 8 passed! It was a really tight race for sure. Oh yeah...some lawyer wants to put on the next election ballot for the state of CA to have the state of CA split in half because he says that Prop 8 would have passed if Northern California (where there are many gay and lesbian people live) would have been its own state. People are weird for sure!

Hope all is well in Tennessee.

Taryn said...

Erin I am basically crying right now. I felt this way ALL WEEK and have been crying and just feeling...scared. I am scared for the memebers of the church and for the hatred this seems to be instilling in people. Deep down I know everything will work itself out, but it is scary right now. Thanks for posting this. I really wanted to post something in my last post, but really did not know how to put it in words. You did it beautifully. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Wow. This really touched me. It is such a blessing to have our homes as our sanctuaries. And our temples. And that's awful what people are doing. I love our church and our gospel and I wish we could just get everyone to understand us better. Until then, thank goodness for missionaries and for their courage. And for each of us, living our lives and living our testimonies.

sam and kyrsten said...

thanks so much for posting this! it really is interesting to see for ourselves such a prophesy happening right in front of us! we have been told numerous times that this division would happen and i agree with your father in law this might be the beginning of it all! lets just hope its a blessing in disguise! i really do think it is. Heavenly Father doesnt just let it happen... its always for a reason!

Lauren Davison said...

Thank you, thank you! And AMEN! It is so sad to see people getting so angry about something they don't understand. Everyone needs someone to blame, and that usually ends up being whoever was strong enough and willing to be honest about their beliefs. Wanna hear something else frustrating? There were members of the church who protested at the Salt Lake Temple. BWUUUUT!? Yeah. I don't get it. I mean, there were non-members, too, but there were LDS BYU students getting groups together to go protest against Prop 8. I really don't understand people sometimes. It's sad.

But how wonderful to have the truth. There is an amazing feeling of peace you get when you align yourself with the prophet and his teachings. I know that no matter how hard things get, if we are standing with the prophet, we can be at peace.

Caroline said...

Okay, so I didn't read this whole post (sorry), but we just got home from LA last night. My brother and sister-in-law live there, and they have been enjoying all the protesting going on, even after the fact. Apparently even though Mormons only account for like 4% of the vote in Cali, they are being 'blamed' for prop 8 passing. I think it goes to show that most people in our country still hold to traditional family values, despite what the media trys to force on us. Let's do what we can to encourage our Christian nation to stay that way! GO USA!

Caroline said...

ps...have you checked out my new cooking blog? It's called www.twolittlechefs.blogspot.com

Check it out and tell your friends, you seem to have about a million of them!