Thursday, April 16, 2009

Clothe the Whales

The last few weeks of expansion explosion have made it painfully obvious that my plan to wear my regular clothes for the entirety of my pregnancy and just "make them work" is definitely not going to happen. I'm running low on things that fit, and those that still do require a Bella Band that is increasingly ineffective. There are probably a few people in my office wondering what kind of granny underwear I've got going on. Needless to say, it was time for me to give in and start a small and strategic maternity collection. I figure I won't need jeans, as a soggy Southern summer won't call for that much denim at any point. But a pair or two of shorts, work-appropriate pants, and some tops are becoming things I, as well as a squished Lil', have begun to covet. On Saturday we were perusing the racks at the Ross on the fancy side of town, and lo and behold, they actually had a maternity section. It was made of one entire rack. Wow. Maternity clothes have come a long way since the days of the don't-show-your-bump muumuu. But they've come a lot further for those with a bigger budget than me.

I have come across many websites that have totally adorable maternity clothes. But I'm talking $200 pants and $80 tops and $125 dresses. Maybe its just me, but I figure this child will come out at some point, and when she does, she is going to need a few items, you know, like food, diapers, insurance, a home, clothes, medicine, an education. So there are more important places to put those hundreds of dollars than into a wardrobe I can wear for 3 months.

However, I still like to look decent. And that's the tricky part.

So last night I geared up emotionally and physically and headed back to Ross (without Chris) to find a piece or two to add to my shrinking wardrobe. I've been told on occasion that I am "tiny", but I must have been pocket-sized before because I definitely don't feel tiny. And trying on maternity clothes didn't do anything to change that. But: they were so comfortable. Insanely comfortable. Maternity slacks are about a 1/2 step up from sweats, and as a pregnant coworker told me: "After you're done being pregnant, you don't have another excuse to wear an elastic waistband for 40 years." So I tried on a multitude of clothes, but only walked out with 2 tops, each costing $8.

I ran into several problems during this initial adventure, all of which can be addressed with a few messages to the producers of [inexpensive] maternity clothes:

1. I'm carrying my baby in my tummy, not my crotch. So the stretchy waistband in the maternity pants you made is awesome, but the big baggy space in the crotch area is totally unnecessary. Thanks anyway.
2. Yes my chest and belly are bigger, but my neck is still the same size. So that ginormous neck hole in every shirt is not necessary. In fact it makes it hard to keep the shirt from falling off my shoulders.
3. Ruffles are not, in fact, a legal requirement for maternity tops. So you can cut back on those.
4. I don't want a stork on my t-shirt. And I really don't want a sparkly stork on my t-shirt.
5. Knee-length maternity shorts need not have rhinestones on the pockets. Or leather trim. Or words embroidered on the bum.
~
Memos to me on this new adventure:
1. Do not shop for maternity clothes in any store that has mirrors.
2. Nor should you ever shop when hungry. Or tired.
3. If finding cute modest regular clothes for the summer was tricky, just wait for the challenge of finding cute modest maternity clothes for the summer. There's a reason they say modest is hottest, and pregnant ladies don't like being hot. Its a good thing my biggest months will be in the peak of summer.
4. Under no circumstances will maternity clothes look good on me. I'm out of luck. Maybe I will consider a muumuu.
And last but definitely not least . . .
5. The little creature kicking inside of me makes this blue ruffly tent I'm trying on totally worth it.

6 comments:

Laura and family said...

Have you tried Target? I found a ton of super cute, super cheap maternity clothes there.

Good luck!

P.S. Who cares if Addison is a super popular name right now. I wish we would have stuck with Carson because it meant more to us, and was more personal, than Gabriel! Oh well, it's his middle name :)

Cami and Juan said...

I was cracking up this whole post! I'm sure you look cuter than you think in these wacky clothes.

Lauren Davison said...

So it sounds like you should just never go shopping when pregnant at all. Because as far as I understand, you are basically always hungry AND tired... :)

I went to Walmart with my pregnant sister to find her some maternity clothes, and they had one little thing of them. Lame.

Shirt wise, I'm pretty sure they have nice, plain maternity t-shirts at downeast. But yeah. Other than that I guess I'm not much help... ;)

sarah said...

i very much agree with getting the homer-style muumuu. that would be ridiculously amazing.

Megan said...

Hi Erin, I just had to comment:) Hope you don't mind. I really suggest wearing dresses during the summer months. One: they are WAY comfortable, two: You can usually find really cute sun dresses that can be made modest by wearing a shirt underneath, and three: there are a ton of dresses out there that aren't necessarily maternity dresses, but will work perfectly because of the empire waist.

And I agree about Target. They usually have a pretty good selection of things for pretty cheap. Old Navy, also. Good luck!

Alixa said...

Sorry about the shopping. I feel your pain, but I was in maternity clothes at 14 weeks so be glad you only have to wear them for a few months. Anyway, I have found that just getting larger sizes of regular shirts work just as well or better than actual maternity clothes. Just a thought...