Thursday, October 29, 2009

Breakfast Cupcakes

I worked with a lady once who didn’t know what a muffin was. Another coworker asked her to pick up a muffin for her, and this person had to call her teenage daughter to ask what a muffin was. Teenage daughter replied, “You know mama, a breakfast cupcake.” A breakfast cupcake, indeed.
~
Anyway, please excuse me as I get up on my soap box . . .
Ok, all situated. Yesterday I was talking to my mom and she told me about the new Hot Mormon Mom Muffin (not sure of the actual title) calendar. We don’t get a lot of Mormon news out here, so it was the first I heard of it. Its done by the same guy who put out the sexy missionary calendar and features real LDS housewives in various states of undress holding muffins and each month as a muffin recipe. The cover model said she did the calendar to dispel LDS housewife stereotypes.
~
First, exactly what stereotype is she talking about? Ok, I know what she means, but any woman who has spent any time with LDS women knows that while we share values like, I don’t know, virtue, modesty, righteousness, kindness, service, (or at least try to) LDS women are all very different. We are educated and talented. Some work, some don’t, some run businesses, go to school, have 2 kids or 10. Some have dinner on table when their husband gets home, and some have their husband do the cooking after a long day (or is that just me?). The fact the she, as an LDS woman, is even perpetuating the idea that there is a “typical” Mormon woman is annoying. You, Mrs. September or whatever month you are, obviously know or care very little about the fabulous women this Church produces, as you are obviously not one of them. And how are you “dispelling” this “stereotype”? By contributing to the world’s objectification of women, that’s how. Because I hate to be the one to inform you of this, but people aren’t buying this calendar to better understand your stance on LDS women. They aren’t even buying it for the muffin recipes. They are buying it to look at the “muffin tops” spilling out of your shirt.
~
Well, now that I'm up here and we're talking about women objectifying themselves, how about one more topic on conversation. Skanky Halloween costumes. There are few things I despise more than skanky Halloween costumes. I can't stand how girls dress up as a skany referee or skany police officer or skanky devil or whatever. Its really just a bra and a police hat and there you have your costume! Its like an excuse to dress extra skank-errific. If you want to dress like that, just go as a stripper for Halloween instead. And Chris just told me someone he knows at school is going as a "sexy deer" while her man goes as a hunter. I mean, I know the world has to sexualize pretty much everything, but deer? Really? Halloween was once fun and childish. Now Facebook gets x-rated as it fills up with pictures of everybody's horrible costumes.
~
Ok, stepping off the soap box now.

8 comments:

The Fishers said...

Preach on, Sister!!!!

Laura said...

oh i know what you mean! I saw in PEOPLE (yes i read it sometimes) that there is an LDS girl who wrote a book about "choosing NYU over BYU" and how her mother thought she would become lesbian and the girl is a comedian and her book is full of trashy stuff. She says "Mormons are known for saying no to everything so she tries to say not to only a few things but yes to everything else". Gross. I think the name of it is the New York Halloween Singles Dance. Anyways. She says she is trying to make people see that LDS members are just like everyone else. She is dirty. I'm just thinking, why would you want to be a dirty slutty person like "everyone else"? She is not a good example and can't write a book about being LDS because clearly she doen't really understand what it is to be LDS in the first placd! sighhhh it makes me angry!

Hope you didn't mind me sharing your soap box. I figured we could both fit up there.

Lauren Davison said...

Amen... A.MEN.

Nat said...

Amen sister. Holla.

Stacey said...

Funny about the Calender! Obviously it made the Pocatello news and tons of people are making speculations about it. I totally agree with you. Most of the women aren't even LDS that are doing the calender, yet they are 'standing up for our rights and stopping stereotyping against Mormon moms"...How thoughtful! (totally in sarcastic)Anyway, couldn't agree with you more. Its getting all too ridiculous.

Ashley said...

I fully agree and there isn't anything that bugs me more then immodest women. If the immodesty comes from LDS women then I say, "They just don't get it."

Ashley said...

And that can go for those who aren't LDS as well. Be a true woman! Don't expose yourself. P.S. I haven't heard about the calendar out here in Utah

sam and kyrsten said...

oh my heck you rock so much. i could feel the power in this post! WOOO!!! this is so disgusting! i havent heard much about this either but HOLY! keep it coming! you go girl! and the whole skanky halloween costume thing. it really is disgusting. lets all just throw away our standards and everything else for a night! jeeze! like the howl- utah state. come on!