Sunday, October 3, 2010

the things we learn.

1. Busy toddlers and busy sports stadiums don't mix for more than half a game. We went to our first MSU football game last weekend. It seemed like an idyllic thing, all dressed in green with our sweet beauty. She was rather enamoured for the first . . . 15 minutes. Then we kept her busy with snacks and hot chocolate and grandma's Sprite (oh, yes, we even had Chris's parents with us as backup). Chris and I kept finding ourselves saying "Oh man I missed it!" after particularly exciting plays. It was just a bit hard to relax and enjoy. At half time we decided to head out. Carly really was a great sport, way better than I expected her to be, and we did have a lot of fun, but I think I will be limiting the amount of sporting events we take her to that we have to pay to get in.
2. When you are one year old, the best part of a MSU game is the puppy that does tricks in the endzone after each touchdown. Seriously, the guys running around hitting each other? Unnecessary. Just have that doggie catch that Frisbee over and over. Now that's entertainment.

3. General Conference is filled with talks just for me. Every time. A few things that stuck out this time around:

  • Slow down and enjoy. You don't have to be going 100 mph to be worthwhile. This was especially good to hear as a stay at home mom, who spends many days doing nothing more that playing with blocks, picking up socks, tossing rocks, and going on walks.

  • Teach your children by example. This one has been on the forefront of my mind, as I watch Carly mimic everything I do. Its scary to see how she does exactly what we do, from shrugging to dancing to wiping the floor with a rag. She will learn best by watching what I do, so I better be doing good things.

  • Stand by the Church, listen to the Prophet, hold to the doctrine, cling to the values. No matter what the world says.
{she kept waving at the brethren, like she waves at her grandparents on the webcam}

4. When you are one year old, the best part of General Conference is the hymns. Because the Tab can't do it without you.


5. A long walk in a crisp fall evening, warm gluten-free chocolate chip cookies, and a Penguins game are the best ways to end a Conference weekend. In case you were wondering.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Too cute!!! Love that little munchkin!

Taryn said...

That is fun you were able to take her to a game! We have to buy a full price ticket to take a baby so that is NOT going to happen. It would be fun to take her once...for probably 15 minutes like you said :)

I agree with what you were able to get from Conference. I really liked the Pres Uchtdorf's talk as well. It helped me realize that what I am doing is worthwhile.

Always great messages! Are you guys going to Idaho for Christmas at all? If we are there the same times we should do a play date :)

Cami and Juan said...

I love the Michigan sports wear. That is a good color of green.

Brian and Emily said...

yea!!!!!!! I'm so glad you found my blog! We were talking about you two the other day (now three) and wondering what you are up to. Carly is so lovely! So, we thought you were in Tennessee, but you are in Michigan now? Say hi to Chris for us and give Carly a big hug!