Thursday, October 28, 2010

don't you ever grow up.

I finally managed to get my paws on Taylor Swift's new CD yesterday.
I always have an adjustment period where I have to get used to new songs when I'm used to the old ones.
But she has already made me cry with her little number, "Never Grow Up":
~
Your little hands wrapped around my finger
And, it’s so quiet in the world tonight
You’re little eyelids flutter cause you’re dreaming
So, I took you in
Turn on your favorite night light
To you, everything’s funny
You got nothing to regret
I’d give all I had, honey
If you could stay like that
Oh, darling don’t you ever grow up
Don’t you ever grow up
Just stay this little . . .
It can stay this simple . . .
Just try to never grow up, and never grow up


Oh, Tay. You get me every time.
~
I've been a big bag of chaotic emotion lately. Carly seems to have entered the "terrible teens" rather than waiting until she gets all the way to 2. I feel like things are a bit out of control as a mother. She screams a lot (I mean, a lot) and I don't know if screaming and crying all day is normal. Is it normal? She tears everything apart, taking everything out of everywhere. She is now tall enough to reach the edge of the counter, and she will grab things off it too (um, steak knife, anyone?). And she seems too young to discipline. Does she even understand me when I say no? Sure does not seem like it. She just seems wild. I have fears growing in my mind. 1) I don't want her to be a spoiled brat. 2) What if something is wrong? Like what if she has ADD, or OCD, or Autism? I don't know what is normal. I don't know how a 15 month old is supposed to behave, and the thing is, every kid is different. So there is no normal. I just want her to be a nice, well-behaved girl. I mean she can be funny and spunky and energetic. Just maybe less screaming and throwing herself on the floor in defiance. Can someone teach me how to parent a toddler? I'm just not catching on.
~
I vaguely remember what my husband looks like. I knew PhD school would be busy. But I didn't expect the combination of Carly going insane and his schedule would send me into a stupor. I find myself surviving the days rather than living them, wishing these 4 years away. I don't want that, but how do you not? Its obviously a personal problem, one I've been doing a little soul-searching (if you will) to figure out. People do this crazy school + kid thing all the time. Why am I the only one on the verge of a constant mini breakdown? I think its easy to get a bit lost in the day-to-day grind. Chris is so good. He knows how much I love school. How hard it is for me to not be in school anymore, when I once dreamed of graduate school and traveling the world. He asks if I want to go back, do night classes or something. Or online classes. "I just want to attend lectures without having to do homework or take tests" I told him. "Well . . . . " he searched for an answer. He is cute. I've been searching for something, outside of Carly, that I can feel passionate about (read my sister-in-law's fabulous post on passion here). I picked up sewing. Kind of. I'm a dreadful sew-er (I would never use the word seamstress to describe myself). And while I do enjoy it, I don't see myself being the same extreme sew-er as I see others are. I would love to get back into working out. Its been tricky, as Carly won't sit in a stroller for more than 5 minutes, its already getting too cold to work out outside, and we are far too poor for any sort of gym membership. I know its important. I like how it makes me feel emotionally and physically. But passion? Not sure working out makes the cut. I'm fully aware my passion lies in learning something new every day. Finding answers to questions I care about. Which is why I absolutely adored college. Which is why this sometimes repetitive, sometimes un-stimulating environment of stay-at-home mom world is a challenge. But don't get me wrong. I know I want to be here. I know I need to be here. I know I'm supposed to be here. And Carly really is my light and life. But I don't think that having the desire to do something else, something outside of her is a bad thing. In fact, I know it will be good for her because it will be good for me. I'm just not sure, at this point, what that "something" could/should be.
~
Pictures of my tiny perfect new niece and watching my giant running-playing-learning toddler planted the idea of #2 in my head. We are in no position to add #2. Chris is so busy, Carly is a nutcase, and I'm a bigger nutcase (though, she pulls it off in a much cuter way than I do). We are dirt poor. I haven't worked out in like 18 months. And we know its just not time. Which is really the most important factor, listening to the Spirit. #2 is up there in heaven, watching the chaos she is destined to join, and probably hoping I pull myself together before she has to. But she is tugging at my heartstrings. The same way Carly did before we decided to try for her. And I will be joyful and grateful when the time comes for her to join us (she better be a girl, with Carly's cute new room they will have to share and the tubs of clothes we have stored up). I just pray I will be in a place emotionally, physically, grammatically, where I can do it . . . the mother of 2 thing. And not just do it, but rock it. All I want is to rock it
~
My grandpa once said to me, "I like reading your blog. Its like a soap opera."
I wasn't sure what he meant by that.
I'm now assuming he was referring to posts like this one.
Don't mind me.
Happy Thursday.

14 comments:

Call Commotion said...

Oh Erin - I know how you feel!! When Shaef was a few months past 1 we started giving him time outs (1 min for every age). It works wonders because he hates time outs and nips those bad habits in the bud! I am sorry that things are rough. Life is a roller coaster for sure!

Tedi said...

Erin, I totally sympathize with all your feelings from the screaming toddler to the wanting more to stimulate your life then your toddler. So this is what I have done/am trying to do.

My sister recommended the book 1-2-3 Magic for child discipline. Basically audrey gets 2 chances and then on 3 it is a time out on the stairs or in her room for 1 min (1 min for every year old) I just started doing it and Audrey is catching on and will calm down and ask/point/sign for what she wants.

About Me time/learning. I have found that most YMCA's do discount memberships if you are poor. Also I don't know if there are many museums where you are but they sometimes do discount or free memberships as well if you are poor. Another thing, if your ward has a playgroup try to attend. Socializing with other moms is a great help and I'm sure Carly would enjoy playing with other kids.

There are also ECFE (Early Childhood and Family Education) classes that you may be able to get involved in (those are usually a small fee or free, at least here in MN) One last thing and then I'll end this novel of a comment. Trade babysitting, I have begun trading babysitting with a lady who had a little boy Audrey's age. So ever other Tuesday I have 2 hours to do what ever I want in the middle of the day. I love it. Good luck you can do it!

Haley said...

Hey Erin. You may not remember me, but Tyrus and I know you and Chris from Roman Gardens. Anyway, I stumbled upon your blog a few months ago and love it! Thanks for always being honest. As a mother of an 18 month old girl, I get 100% what you're saying. All the aspirations, frustrations, guilt and love that come with mommyhood. It's a wild ride, isn't it? You're doing great!

Taryn said...

I think I just want to cut and paste this poste + change names/places to match my life, k? THanks.

Oh life. While my child isn't quite to the point of pulling things off the counter or throwing a complete tantrum (though, trust me, she tries) some/many days I feel just like you!

I feel like I am searching for something to be passionate about and to make me a better person/wife/mother, but I have no idea what that is. I feel like for my own benefit I need to be doing something more than just what I am doing, but in a way I don't want to and in a way I feel selfish and in a way I have NO IDEA where to begin.

Then there is the whole #2 thing...we are obviously not ready for that to happen too soon, but for some reason I am already thinking about when he/she should be coming. Maybe it is because my husband is a little older and he wants another kid before we leave dental school or maybe I am just feeling better about blaming him for my own desire to have another baby already. But then again, do I want another baby already? And by already I mean sooner rather than later. But I just don't know. I never thought I wanted my kids to be any less than 2 1/2 years apart and now here I am thinking I want my kids to be possible LESS than 2 years apart.

Okay, wow. Sorry about this comment. Way too long, way too personal. But...your post just summed up how I have been feeling so well. So thanks :)

And good luck...Let's be friends, k?

Stacey said...

Oh Erin, I just want to give you a hug. All I can say is ditto. You are spot on about everything you said. It is so hard, so out of contol, so monotonous, but oh so worth it. Carly sounds like a normal little girl trying to figure out this great big world. Remember, this is all new to her too. She is feeling things that she has never felt before, crazy things and she is working it out. Give her time and lots of love. Lots and lots of love. I agree with tenille, time outs have worked wonders for us. You will find what works for you. Give you time too. As for what I think your passion should be... Writing. I reread your blog all the time. Simply because I enjoy it so much. Seriously, so so much. Write a book, make millions and enjoy the rest of your life. That is my plan for you. I hope you have a wonderful day. Thanks for sharing. Really thank you really.

Casey and Kristi said...

Olivia was the same way. Whenever I read your posts I think of how much your daughter reminds me of mine, so if she hit the terrible twos with complete defiance WELL before she is 2, I feel your pain. And I'm sure it really doesn't seem like she understand but I promise it will get better. And with #2, good luck, once those stings start to pull on your heart, it is a hard thought to put aside.

The Fishers said...

I don't have any good advice, seeing as how mine's not there yet, but I do know what it feels like to be in a situation you wish away. It does stink to do that and I know it makes you feel even worse when you do it, but all you can do is keep rolling with the punches. Continue to try your best and cry when you need to. I would say take a break when you can, but I'm learning that Moms don't get breaks. Just make sure to take your friends up on their offers to help or babysit. No one I've ever met says it but doesn't mean it. It's easier said than done, but just try to be patient. The stress will one day pass!

My only advice: maybe you should write a book. You're a good writer and I love reading your blog. I'm sure Carly has given you enough stories to write several books!

Collin, Traci, Cam, and Alyssa said...

Carly is SO normal.

The Gray Gang said...

You expressed my life to the T right now. My husband works full time, goes to school at nights, and is the stake executive secretary (schedules all the meetings for thes take presidency) We usually see him 2 nights a week! When we are lucky! Is it weird that we all long to have that extra stimlation or 'passion,' but we all feel guilty to ask someone to watch our kids unless it is an 'emergency!' I too am looking for that passion. I love crafting, but it gets too expensive. I love exercising, but not by myself. I love reading, but it just isn't enough. And #3 keeps yelling at us, but I haven't felt that sense of control yet to be able to add #3 to the madness is out of the question. Maybe we all need to have a girls weekend in the Bahamas to rejuvinate! :) (Oh wait, is that where the lack of money comes in!?!)

Jonathan and Sarah said...

I feel your pain with the lack of being passionate about something! motherhood is great and all....but like you said I suffer from the lack of everyday learning. If you find something to help you replace school please share! I struggle with that all the time. The only thing I've found that dulls the pain is crafts... but it isnt the same. If the HS version of me could see me now....complaining about not being at school, it would kick my butt!

hang in there! I keep telling myself it is just adjusting to being a mom. I haven't been at it as long as you, but when I feel like I'm struggling it is easier to cut myself a little slack. You haven't been a mom before, and since it is the hardest job on the planet, I think it's natural to take some time to get used to it (I am alloting myself like 20 years!)

Lisa C said...

Erin, You are a great mom and Carly is so blessed to have you! Hang in there! Chris threw some pretty good tantrums when he was little, and he turned out ok! You are doing a great job!

Tina Crowther said...

I hear ya! I tried babysitting other kids... to run it like a preschool. For something new. Don't do it. It's worse!

This year I'm tutoring. Only one kid, twice a week. (I have a teaching degree, but don't get to use it professionally right now.) The tutoring is working out nicely... I'm still mom, but I get a chance to be teacher too.

As for #2... I don't think I'll go there. My first two are 19 months apart and now #3 is on the way. Oh man, what have I gotten myself into?

Good luck!

Golden Girl said...

Erin, everyone has pretty much said what I was going to say. I will add that Novalie is W.I.L.D and has been from day one. We used to tell her we found her in the African jungle and took her away from her people, the animals. She is 7 and still wild. I remember a short, very short, period of time when I was so worried about her and wanted to change her. I wanted her to be calm for one minute each day. I found myself getting mad at her for not being calm for heck, even one second. Then I realized it wouldn't be Novalie if she was calm. She is beautifully wild. It is tricky, but if she stays wild you will find ways in which to channel that energy for good things. Heavenly Father needs "wild" children in these days. It is our job to help them use it for good. Novalie has more energy than any child I have ever seen. Seriously. She is constantly in motion. Even if she is watching a cartoon she is jumping on the couch or twirling around. But, she can tell you everything that is going on in the cartoon. That is how I know she doesn't have ADHD. Her body is moving, but her mind is not. It is who she is. But, she also has the kindest, most caring heart. All three of her school teachers so far have told me that she is the most caring child in her class. Anyhow, sorry, that was like a book, but wild children are the best and you will survive!

Laura said...

Oh i am so behind in reading!!! And I have sooo many comments!!

#1 I love your blog and reading it. I love going back and reading how cArly was when she was Eliza's age. I second that you should write a book!

#2 I bought Taylor swifts cd and am excited to listen to it. I told Kase I had to get it because you liked it. ha ha.

#3 I SOOO told Kase last week that I think something is wrong with Eliza (autism/OCD) because she gets upset and does this "pose" and breaths all weird. He said I worry too much. Carly is just full of energy and I think she is really smart so it's probably frustrating to be only 1 and want to do so much. I hope that is Eliza's problem too.

#4 As far as the passionate thing. I am having trouble figuring out how to have time to do anything besides work and be with the baby. Because I work so much, when I am home I don't want to give up time with eliza to do anything else. but I suppose i need to still do things for myself. It is hard to figure out a balance. Plus to figure out what I would do if I did something. sighhhh....

#5 Kase went to Cincinatti this weekend with his dad. He came home last night and was all "did you know that Michigan is not that far away! I didn't know it was just above Ohio." ha. We miss you guys.