Friday, October 1, 2010

deep thoughts.

I have blogger's block.
I mean, serious blogger's block.

I'm on the second Hunger Games book (Catching Fire, for those unfamiliar). Oh man really? I'm about half way in and seriously stressing about Katniss and Peeta and Gale. I was telling Chris today how I'm crazy because I pretty much really care and worry about these people as if they are real. Chris assured me its normal. Its just the sign of a good book. Has it really been that long since I have read a good book?

I have a new nightly tradition that involves soaking in a hot bath after I put Carly down. Its a little bit fabulous to just soak in silence with nothing to do or think about . . . except maybe Katniss and Peeta and how she better go for him because, I'm sure Gale is great and all, but Peeta is awesome. And that leads me to wondering if Chris is more like Peeta or Gale. He is definitely more like Peeta, which makes sense because I would totally choose Peeta if I were Katniss. Anyway, I'm liking my soaking wind-down time.

Its General Conference weekend. Really? It snuck up on me this time around. I know General Conference requires personal preparation, but things have been so hectic lately neither of us have really had time to think about it. Maybe, just this once, my personal preparation is that things are so crazy, I'm just thirsting for some guidance, reassurance, and strength. Maybe just this once that will count.

While waiting forever for our tire to get fixed today (second nail I've picked up in the space of 10 days. amazing), Carly and I walked over to Party City to check out Halloween costumes. It amazing how all womens' costumes these days are the "skanky" version of whatever: skanky firefighter, policewoman, bumblebee, even nun. So weird. I don't buy Halloween costumes, but even if I wanted to I wouldn't be able to. Unless I wore a pair of sweats underneath.

Did you know October is my favorite month? Truly, best month of the year. You've got general conference. You've got my birthday, 3 days before which is my big brother's birthday. So when we were kids, my mom had this birthday clown. It was this little wooden clown that had a button on the back that played happy birthday when you pushed it and its arms could hold little presents. And each one of us kids had a present with our name on it and a few days before our birthday and a few days after the clown would hold the present with our name on it. Except Jason. Poor Jason's present got taken down as soon as his birthday was over to put my name up, since our birthdays were so close. I'm pretty sure he still holds a grudge. But that clown was a integral part of our family's birthday tradition. And you know what my mom did with it? Gave it to DI. Along with everything else that meant anything in my childhood.

But October. Yes Conference and birthdays. The MLB playoffs, which are the greatest time of year, and the Twins are in, but everything is pretty much falling apart for them right now so hopefully they get it out of their systems before the real games begin. And hockey starts. And Halloween. And the leaves change and the weather is beautiful. And as our family expands, new happy things happen in October. Like Jason's wife? Her birthday is in October too. I just love October.

And honestly, how beautiful is this child?
She recently learned how to shrug. She doesn't know the appropriate use of shrugging, so she does it at the most random and hilarious moments that don't make sense. Which is why its so delicious and I could eat her for lunch. Every day.

Happy October.
xoxo.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Hahaha, you DO know that Grandpa is claiming that he taught her how to shrug, right??? He was so proud when he came home! And October has always been one of my favorite months!

Jamie Boyd said...

I just finished the Hunger Games series a few weeks ago. It was intense. I'm glad you're enjoying it. And it is normal to be really attached to the characters. I cried harder for Rue than I've ever cried for a fictional character. I still have Panem-style dreams some nights. They're just very gripping books. You've got a lot of good stuff ahead of you in the rest of the books. Enjoy :)

sam and kyrsten said...

i LOVE october too. my favorite month. for some odd reason halloween is my favorite holiday! i dont feel like i have prepared very well for conference this time around either. so hopefully there are a few wild cards in there helping all of us slackers out! :) im glad im not the only horrible with giving blood. its freaky really. i dont think ill be doing it again for quite sometime! carly is BEAUTIFUL! i can see why you want to eat her up!

Karen Thomas said...

excuse me? - "along with everything else from your child hood" tell that to the dozen boxes in the storage room and the closet full of your "childhood" get over the clown.
love you. october is awesome