Sunday, January 23, 2011

yum yum yum yum, delicioso!

Carly appears to be a fan of Dora the Explorer. Lately she has seemed a bit bored with Elmo's World, so I was flipping through the children's tv guide thing on our tv and saw that Dora was on. Decided to see what she thought. She was an instant fan.
The other day I asked "Do you want to watch Elmo?"
"Nah" she said.
"Do you want to watch Dora?"
Silence.
"Elmo or Dora?" I asked again.
"Doh-ah" she says.
Not even kidding.

It didn't take long for me to start saying "Vamanos!" and "yum yum yum yum, delicioso!" and singing the "We Did It" song every time Carly successfully blew her nose.
We are practically bilingual in the C House.
~
Anywho, we had a Girls Night Out last night where we played Just Dance on the Wii.
It was good times all around. Someone even said I would be fun to go out dancing with because I didn't care and just let loose.
She meant it as a compliment, so I took it that way.
I've got moves you've never seen before.
But the point is, I decided to bring some treats to add to the sugar potluck.
When we were in Idaho, my aunt made these yummies and I ate about 10 in one sitting.
So I decided to give it a try.
~
I'm not much of a cook or baker. I watched Julie and Julia, and for about 10 minutes really wanted to learn how to cook. But then I had to figure out what to make for dinner and my desire totally dwindled. I also have a tendency to burn cookies every time I make them. Chris will back me up on this statement.
So hold on to your seats . . .
I'm going to share a recipe.
Because they were seriously de-lish.
~
Ok, instead of typing it out, here it is, complete with Carly scribbles.
[click to enlarge]
They are pretty much Rice Krispy Treats on blood-doping treatments.

 A few tips?
Tip #1 Get everything you need out and put it on the tiny part of the counter not covered in dirty dishes.

Tip #2 Multi-task by listening to Taylor while cooking (or is this baking?).
That way you can sing, dance, and cook (bake?) all at once.

Tip #3 When you realize you left your biggest pot at a friend's house after taking them dinner, melt the marshmallows using a wok.

Tip #4 Try really hard not to eat the sugar-and-butter covered half-melted marshmallows.
But if you have to, use a spoon rather than a fork.


Tip #5 The bigger you make the treats, the fewer times you'll have to scoop out of the wok.
And then when you eat "just one", you get significantly more yums. 

In all seriousness, though, mine were a bit harder than my aunt's. I'm not sure, but my understanding of general chemistry leads me to guess its because I boiled the sugar/butter combo too long.
Watch for that.

Now eat and say in your very best Backpack accent,
"yum, yum, yum, yum, delicioso!"
~
~
P.S. An adorable video of what Chris and Carly do while I cook/bake.
Excuse my hyena laugh at the end.

4 comments:

Laura said...

ha ha that looks delicioso. love that your counter looks like mine. miss you guys and little laughing carly.

Lindsey Chadwick said...

haha ERIN! I love your blog!!

Lauren Davison said...

Ooooh, looks tasty-o! :)

Jonathan and Sarah said...

ok i love this post! i am just like you-- julie and julia made me want to cook for like 3 hours! and dora songs really stick with you--just wait till you find yourself humming them in the shower. lol. too fun!