Monday, February 7, 2011

in which carly goes to nursery and we all cry.

I was very much emotionally prepared to send Carly off to nursery at Church.
next week.
But the nursery leader came to me at the beginning of Sunday School and said,
"Oh, we can just take her today."
Carly's Sunday School toy and snack spread was already all set up, but I sent her out the door with the nursery leader, who has 9 children of her own and is therefore rather good with kids.
I came back to my seat.
I looked at her toys.
I packed away her snacks.
Then I saw her dishtowel lying there.
And that's when the tears came.
~
Later I saw Chris in the hall and shared my concerns over the fact that Carly did not have her comfort dishtowel. more tears on my part.
Chris confessed that while in the Clerk's Office he could hear her in the nursery room, and that he got a bit choked up himself.
Where did our baby go?
~
[peek-a-boo, baby]
~
Chris particularly enjoyed that I've been raving about Carly going to nursery, then had a hard time when she did. In my defense, she went a week early.
I would have been perfectly fine next week.
(Right?)
~
[pitiful attempt at getting a pic on her 1st day of nursery]
So we get to about 20 minutes left in Relief Society.
The nursery leader comes to the RS door with a sobbing Carly.
Her guess was that the other kids were coming in and out with their moms due to potty training and diaper changing, and Carly was probably wondering where her mommy was.
And I honestly believe she would have done a bit better if she had had a dishtowel.
But it broke my heart to see her scared.
The nursery leader handed her to me and sobbing Carly waved to her and said "BYE BYE!".
(Read: Get out of here!)
She spent the next 5 minutes on my lap in RS sniffling and eating Goldfish while clinging to her dishtowel.
Then she promptly returned to her usual 3rd-hour distraction destruction.
And I returned to thinking, I can't wait 'til she goes to nursery.

8 comments:

Tina Crowther said...

I think you just proved that you're not as old as your previous post said... I was going to brag about how easy it was for both of mine to go to nursery, and I wasn't torn up at all- then I remembered that I was the nursery leader! So much for that. She's still cute though.

Taryn said...

We look forward to all the milestones with kids, but they always end up a little bittersweet. I think the suprise of it all would make it much harder. Hopefully nursery gets better for everyone as the weeks go by!

Golden Girl said...

Erin, you are too funny! I have to say that I didn't cry when Novalie went into nursery. I did a happy dance because she was wildly wild at church. However, when she was a sunbeam I totally cried my eyes out and now she is in senior primary. Hello!! SENIOR PRIMARY! Ugh...it all happens too fast.

Lauren Davison said...

JEALOUS! (Not of all the tears, just the nursery part...) We have three more months before Emily gets to go and it feels like it will never come!

Rebecca said...

Oh you are a sweet mom. It can be hard the first few times. I think we want our kids to need us more than they do sometimes. But I bet she will do great very soon. She will love it! Hard to let our kids grow up huh?

Karen Thomas said...

wait till you send her off to college and she meets a boy and falls in love. and they move far away. then we'll talk tears. xoxo

Lanenga Family said...

What a cute outfit she has on! Love the style! :)

Laura said...

Love this post. it is hard to believe she is in nursery! I have a bad habit of thinking that Eliza is getting too big and then I look back and think she wasn't big then but she is now and then i look back and think that again and so on. did that make any sense? ha.

carly is a cute little girl. full of spunk. and i love her outfit.