Wednesday, April 25, 2012

two months young.

Happy 25th!
The dynamic duo are 2 months old today.


Quinn is a sweet, calm, alert little thing. I feel bad for her sometimes, because since she so calm and her siblings are both a little nuts, she is often left to hang out while we're running around tackling the other two. I've been making an effort to make sure and snuggle her throughout the day, because she deserves it, and when things finally calm down, it is just nice to sit and hold her. She is the best nap buddy. She'll wrap her little arms "around" you and just zonk out. It is delicious.

Q is so so so beautiful. I can't even handle it. She has recently started making cute coo-ing sounds. When she is hungry, she starts working her little mouth, like if she tries hard enough she'll somehow get something. She produces little bubbles in the process. And she does this little urgent humming. It is so cute.

The babies' doctor appointments are off due to their late release from the hospital and scheduling issues. Their one month appointment occurred at 7 weeks, and Quinn weighed in at 10 lbs 1 oz. She moved to 0-3 month clothes just this week, and wears a size 1 diaper. She takes 4 to 6 ounces per feeding. She sleeps in the crib with a sleep sack on. I'm considering re-exploring the possibility of swaddling. But she has recently started sleeping in longer stretches, like 5 hours or sometimes more, so maybe I won't mess with her. She goes to bed around 10 or 11 every night. 

He dark hair seems to have developed some red roots, giving it a beautiful dark auburn look. It stands up all over the place all on its own. I try to tame it by giving her a faux-hawk, but this is becoming less and less effective. Right after her bath all the soft hair smells like heaven.

If every baby was like Quinn, I might have 10 more. But we have John, and he's a whole different story . . . 


~~


A little joke in our house is that Quinn is the good twin and John is the evil twin. You wouldn't believe it looking at those cheeks. Good grief, he's yummy. John is a screamer. He screams so loud when he is hungry. Like, from silent sleep straight to screaming. There is hardly a warning. Sometimes he literally makes me jump, it is so sudden. His waking hours at this point are from about 9 to 1 or 2 am. He eats constantly during that time, and then crashes for 6 to 7 hours, which would be nice if he didn't have two sisters who get up earlier than he does. It is something I'm trying to fix, and I know that means I need to have him up more during the day. But with two other kids up, it is nice to have one asleep . . . so he is the asleep one. John also growls loudly, without warning. Another thing what will startle me when I'm holding him and all the sudden he lets out this loud growl. In between sleeping and eating and screaming and growling, he whines a lot. He really takes the prince thing to a whole new level. And somehow he just melts my heart.

John has the ability to drive me absolutely nuts very quickly. The screaming and being up at absurd hours will do that. Sometimes I just feel like what Andie Anderson says on How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days: "I love you, but I don't like you right now." I don't know how you can love something this much that drives you this crazy.

There are times, however, that I get calm sweet John. He is a good snuggler, and he likes to go on "motorcycle rides" with daddy (he sits in Chris's lap and holds on to his fingers; it looks like he is riding a Harley).

At the doctor's appointment at seven weeks, John weighed 10 lbs 6 oz. He moved up to 0-3 month clothes and size 1 diapers a little earlier than his sister. He won't sleep in the crib. His nose is finally clearing out (thank heaven). He takes 4 to 6 ounces per feeding. He smiled two real smiles last week, but hasn't done it again.

One thing I just love about John is he is so boy. There is no way to put it, but after having Carly and having Quinn at the same time, he is so different from them. And I love it. I love having a boy.


~~

A truly amazing thing is how different these babies are, how different all 3 of our kids are.
Chris and I have talked about how we love them equally, but we love them differently.
We love them for who they are.

Happy 2 months, Q and J.
We're happy you joined us.

5 comments:

Becky said...

I love this! I love them! I hope John stops being so fussy soon, but I LOVE that you quoted How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days. Love that part. YAY for John's nose clearing out!!! I just love your kids, and I love you!!!

Rebecca said...

Q looks like Chris- to me at least! I love the red hair on J! They are so cute and you are so good at keeping a record of them.

Laura said...

I can't get over how much John is changing already. They are growing so fast!! Q's hair is gorgeous. I know exactly what you're talking about when you mention J crying. I don't know how you handle that plus two other kids! It will get better even though it does not seem like it. I see now that a lot:-). Of Eliza's crying as a newborn was her personality. She doesn't like change and has a hard time coping with change. and what is more changze than being born? Anyways John will figure it out and get better. In the meantime enjoy those sweet cheeks!!

Golden Girl said...

They are adorable! Growing so fast. I have always wondered how it would be to have a calm baby. I love how each child's personality is innate. And I LOVE your new picture at the top of their feet. So sweet. You are doing an incredible job!

Cami and Juan said...

It is so exciting to read a double baby monthly update! I can't even imagine how exciting and eventful it is to live it. They are gorgeous, so happy for you!