Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Lead, Kindly Light

The past week has been a week of stress and worry. Of course, its finals week. That's always stressful. This semester I think I have been in finals denial. I've studied for all my finals, but not as intensely as I usually do. But I've still done well on them, which is a blessing. I'm excited for it to be over and for family to come for graduation. We are blessed with wonderful families.
The major source of worry in our life these days, however, is the big move to Tennessee that we are planning. Moving is so expensive when you have to do it on your own (lots of our friends are being moved by the businesses they got jobs with!) REALLY expensive. So is health insurance at UT (which now stands for the University of Tennessee, and not Utah;-). So is out of state tuition for graduate school. Most of the time I have no idea how we are going to pull it off, even with student loans. Its a really worry at this point, and with finals, we haven't had time to really look into anything to calm our nerves; so we are just waiting and worrying and wondering! However, we know its right to go. We got a real confirmation that UT is right for us. When we think of changing our minds, it doesn't feel right. So, basically, its kind of like walking into darkness, trusting the Lord to lead the way, even though we can't see very far ahead. This is how I've felt about our situation, and on Sunday in sacrament meeting the hymn we sang brought tears to my eyes:

Lead, kindly Light, amid th'encircling gloom;

Lead thou me on!

The night is dark, and I am far from home;

Lead thou me on!

Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see

The distant scene--

One step enough for me.

This song hasn't left my head since we sang it on Sunday. It has been a real comfort. I know the Lord will lead us, even if its in a way we don't expect and even if its only showing us one step at a time. Up until this point, I've always been able to see the distant scene, but I guess one step at a time is going to have to be enough for me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel, we are going through the exact same situation with law school. I'm just hoping at some point the numbers add up...Moving at your own expense totally stinks.

Taryn said...

I know I always leave comments letting you know that I know exactly how you feel, but I really do! We leave in about 32 days and it still doesn't all add up! But it is so comforting knowing that other people are doing it too and that they do it everyday!