Saturday, April 5, 2008

Missing President Hinckley

Shortly after President Hinckley died, I had a conversation with Chris:

Me: You know, it doesn't really even seem like he died. He's been here my whole life, as long as I can really remember anyway. It doesn't seem like he is really not going to be here anymore.

Chris: Yeah, thats true. It probably won't sink in until Conference.

Well, its Conference today, and its starting to sink in. President Hinckley is the only prophet I've ever known. He had such a profound impact on my life and the lives of so many young people (and older people too, of course). It is strange to me that he won't be there today. It will be sad to me, I'm sure. This months Ensign was a little sad to me too; bittersweet really. I think I'll always think of President Hinckley as 'my' prophet. I am, however, grateful that the church has a living prophet and I do know President Monson is called of God--and he is so great too! So it all works out in the end.

In memory of President Hinckley, I thought I'd post this story. Its a conversation between my aunt and 4-yr-old cousin that occurred shortly after President Hinckley passed away, and I just thought it was so sweet (hopefully you don't mind me sharing this, Dore):

We were lying in bed talking and she said, “I don’t want to die.”

“Most people don’t die until they are really, really, really old.” I replied

“Am I almost really old?” she asked.

“No, it will take a long, long, long, long, long, long time for you to be that old.” I answered.

She then asked, “Are you that old? Are you going to die?”

“No, I have a long, long, long, long, time until I am that old. Everyone has to die, but it is not scary or sad, it is really happy because you get to go to heaven.” I said.

Novalie’s eyes got really big and she said enthusiastically, “And then I can see President Hinckley again.”

“Yes, you will see him and Joseph Smith and all the other prophets. But, you have to make good choices in order to go to heaven.” I said.

She responded, “I have to try to be like Jesus if I want to go to heaven. What happens to the people who are bad?”

“They go to hell.” I answered.

“Oh, mommy, don’t say that word, I don’t like it.” she said.

“Me neither, so we better try to make good choices.” I said.

“I will because I want to go to heaven with President Hinckley because I miss him.” she said so sweetly.

(Erin again) No wonder the scriptures teach us to be as little children!

No comments: