Tuesday, April 15, 2008

So Long, Winter Semester 2008

Today was the last day of class this semester, and as always I am surprisingly sad about it. I am so good about complaining about school: hate reading, hate papers, hate homework, hate tests. However, I LOVE lectures. I've been blessed to have had the majority of my professors at BYU be amazing people; very kind, knowledgeable, and entertaining. I'm not exactly sure how I pulled that off. This semester, like the semesters that have come before, I have been very sad the last day of class knowing this is the last time I'll ever go to this exact class. And I love these classes! (The same could only be said for 1 class last semester, however). Its ironic how much you wish a semester to pass quickly, then regret not enjoying it more. I wish school was just lectures and learning and NO homework or tests or grades. Now that would be celestial learning!

In memory of a semester come and gone too soon (though, I am grateful all the work is behind me), here is a review of Winter 2008's Professor Line-Up:

Dr. Cooper, PlSc 170, Intro to International Relations: This class involved 15 papers (not kidding) and 3 essay exams. Not easy. However, his lecture style was interesting. He wrote on the chalkboard, which I love (I hate powerpoint presentations). It was very down-to-earth type teaching. And everything was so interesting, I really enjoyed it. Plus, he was really witty, so I laughed a lot in his class (even when no one else did).

Mikeala, Soc 426, Sociology of Work and Occupations: This class was was h*ll because we had to write a 15 pg research paper. That doesn't sound that bad, but it was. I also chose to do it in a group, which always makes things more complicated and drawn out. Mikeala, however, is the nicest person on earth. She invited students over to her house, fed us deserts, and talked about our projects in depth. We would have died without that. She is smart and really knows her stuff. I didn't really care that much about the topic of the class going in, but I had a friend say the class was worth taking just because she taught it; he was right. Plus, she let us watch The Office 5 or 6 times in class, and it ALWAYS applied to our class lecture perfectly.

Well, I was going to write about all 5, but that would be boring and these two are actually the ones I will miss most (strange, these were my two hardest classes). The point is that I really love school--the learning part of school. And I'll miss its when its over. Honestly, there is a super big chance this will be my last full semester at BYU, which is an exhilarating and heartbreaking thought. This summer is truly going to be a summer of change: tonight we had an MTC party (Chris works there) with the German zone. I was thinking about the first one I ever went to over 2 years ago when Chris and I were dating. The zone has changed completely, I hardly know anyone now. Chris has been there so long, he is really ready to move on. But the MTC, BYU, all of it is part of the only life I have ever known with Chris. The people we have grown to love here be hard to leave. Even if I didn't see them that often, they were always around, and I liked that. Tennessee will be so good for us; it will make us stronger not only as individuals but also as a couple, as a family. (I guess the cats out of the bag; we're 99.9% going to Tennessee--Go Vols!) It will be a whole new setting with new challenges and new adventures. And we won't have anyone but each other. Anyway, back to the semester. Its over. I've got 2 hard and 3 easy finals, a friend's wedding, a husband's graduation, the beginning of a jam-packed spring term, deep cleaning and organizing, and a camping trip all ahead of me in the next few weeks. So I guess I won't have too much time to miss those classes after all!

2 comments:

beckster said...

Yay for coming back east with me!!! I'll only be like 4 hours away and I'll have some freedom with school and work, hopefully! Party!

michelle said...

I was a Sociology minor and had Mikaela for a class as well. I am in total agreement that she is completely awesome. Granted, we watched clips of the Simpsons, as The Office hadn't caught on at that point, but she was still a great teacher! (The class wasn't my favourite either.)