Monday, April 14, 2008

Random Thoughts

#1. This is a cool connection: one of the sister missionaries that Chris taught at the MTC is now home and engaged. No, thats not the cool part. The cool part is that she is engaged to the new apostle's (Elder Christofferson) son! Remember in his talk when he talked about how his youngest son was soon-to-be-married? That is to one of Chris's missionaries! Cool, huh? I think we should get an invite!

Speaking of weddings and general authorities, one of my best friends from high school is getting married this coming Saturday in Salt Lake. Now, her sealing to a great guy is by far the most exciting thing happening that day, and I'm so excited for her and grateful that I can go witness this important event in her life. But guess who is sealing her? President Uchtdorf! I'm excited to be in his presence; so close to a member of the first presidency--it will be a first for me. Chris, however, met President Uchtdorf once before when he "dropped by" the German zone at the MTC!

#2. I'm getting old. Ok, not really (my last birthday was the one where I reached legal drinking age), but I'm feeling more 'adult' lately. I probably should have felt that way when I got married two years ago (give me a break, I was 19!) but I feel like I've changed a lot even since then. I think it has a lot to do with school--I'm ready to be done with school. Its weird in high school when you are a senior and you start to feel too old to be in high school. Buts its REALLY weird when you start to get that feeling in college.

#3. SAHM. (Thats Stay-At-Home-Mom, for those of you not clued in to the lingo, like me 2 days ago). Five years ago I wanted a PhD and no husband or kids for a long time. And then I thought when I had kids I didn't want to stay home. I used to feel like pressure from others would make me stay home with kids (that is in NO way true). However, as I've reached my "old" age, I've realized that SAHMs are a real blessing for those who can afford it (its hard these days!). My mom is a perfect example. My entire childhood I came home to my mom. I think back to those kids with the keys on their coats who had to let themselves in when they got home--I'm grateful my mom was home waiting for me. I can't imagine where I'd be without that, without her to talk to. Of course, everyone has to do what is right for their situation, and I'm all for the career woman if that is what she wants (I'm a sociology major, for crying out loud), but recently I've felt the strongest desire to be a SAHM. I want to be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen;-) (I have a few 'feminist' professors who would be dying if they read this) Someday I'd like to go back for a graduate degree in Sociology, Political Science, or Social Work, but for right now I'm looking forward to the next stage in my life--too bad I'm not quite finished with the current stage.

Thats all. Enjoy the Sunshine!

3 comments:

beckster said...

Erin, if you are old, then I am the walking dead. Trust me 22 is a lot older than 21, and a lot more boring. Nothing exciting will happen to us again until we reach 30. But I get where your head is. Mine's there, too. Too bad I won't get to be a SAHM for a LOOOOONG time. =(

Marcie said...

Hey Erin, I really liked your thoughts on being a SAHM (I just learned what that means from you). I was really nervous about staying home with a baby all the way up until I brought Spencer home. Now I absolutely love that I get to be the first to see all of his new "tricks". I thought I would be bored staying home all of the time, but I was surprised to find that there's plenty to do. And playing with Spencer is a lot more fun than working.:)

Golden Girl said...

I had to work for the first 18 months of Novalie's life and it was so miserable!! I hope you get the joy and blessings of being a SAHM! It is the best and I wouldn't trade it for any about of money!