Thursday, April 3, 2008

Spontaneous Regret . . . Almost

I am probably one of the least spontaneous people on earth. I like a plan. I like to know where we are going, what we are doing. Should I wear comfortable shoes, or does it not matter? Will I need a coat? When it came down to our honeymoon, there was no way I was letting Chris surprise me; I needed to be prepared.

Well, Chris and I went to Roberts Craft tonight (I could spend hundreds of dollars in that store) to get some things we needed to our History of Creativity projects. When we were done, we had about 45 minutes until I had to be at a RS presidency meeting, and I was starving. Unfortunately, there is a Chuck-a-Rama down by Roberts. For those of you unfamiliar with Chuck-a-Rama it is one of those huge buffet places, like Golden Corral, but I think its much better. I told Chris we should go. He asked if I was serious. I said I wasn't sure. Finally, we decided to try out "spontaneous" and we randomly went to Chuck-a-Rama. Now, this isn't the most exciting way to be spontaneous, but I'm a rookie. It was delicious, but when I walked out I regretted it. Chris and I aren't exactly rich these days (is any college student?) and dinner out was not in the budget. That $23 dollars could have gone toward a decent amount of groceries. Needless to say, I'm a pretty miserable spontaneous person.

There were, however, wonderful things that came from our spontaneity. I finally let go of all my stress. I think I was really in denial, but today I completed 2 of the 4 huge assignments I needed to (the next 2 are due Friday and Saturday) and I felt like I should be done. So I sat and talked to my husband. It felt like it had been a while, and we have so much to talk about. We talked about Tennessee or BYU or Utah, and about my future career (hopefully someday as a mother), and he made me laugh really, really hard. It had been a while. Sometimes when you get all tied up in yourself you forget how good you really have it. Chris makes everything happy, everything perfect, everything work out somehow. He has a funny way of healing me, regardless of how I am broken. And thinking back, 45 minutes at Chuck-a-Rama with my wonderful husband was what I needed tonight more than anything else, and I really don't regret it at all.

1 comment:

beckster said...

Erin, I love you. That was the happiest thought I have had today, other than your adorable imaginary children telling me that Sarah was their favorite aunt. Stress will kill us all, I think. Good for you for taking a break!