Sunday, October 5, 2008

All Settled In

Well, out of all the random things I write about on this blog, I realized today I haven't given much of an update on our basic lives for a while. So here it goes.

We're doing really well. I'd say we've adjusted to Knoxville quite well. We've been here for a month and a half now, so we're practically experts (ha ha). Our apartment is coming together. Still a little empty, but I hope to keep it that way because that means less to move when the time comes. As for the smell (if you recall, it smelled like cigarettes when we moved in), some days I can't smell it at all, and some days its really really bad. Chris wrote a letter to management, so we'll see if we feel the need to send it in soon. Some pictures:

Also, our car got a power T on the back window.

Chris is doing great. His program is good. Hard, but good. His first big test was last week and rumor has it its the hardest test you take during the entire Masters program. He was worried but got above the class average and did really well. I'm so proud of how he is doing and how hard he is working in school. He also got called to be Ward Mission Leader. Its not really this way in Utah (I don't think so anyway) but here the WML works really closely with the missionary, so its been fun to get to know our missionaries and have them over and go on splits with them. They are good missionaries, and that has been a blessing. (And I know Chris has been a blessing for them). Other than that, he's just trying to get over the deep depression that has set in since the Cubs were swept out of the play-offs last night.

I got a real, permanent job 2 weeks ago in the Undergraduate Admissions Office at UT. I help those who are applying to come here, answer questions, etc. The people are great and it has been really fun. I remember how scary applying to go to college can be and how you want to get everything just right, so I hope I can help calm some fears. I don't have a calling yet, but that's ok, I'm patient;-). Chris and I go work out every day after I get off work (well, most days) and that has become such a wonderful thing for me after being at work for 8 hours. Finally, my Penguins started their season this weekend, so I'm excited to start following that.

Here is a little taste of my day. At lunch I eat in the cafe in the basketball arena across the street. I sit beneath the watchful eye of famous women's basketball coach, Pat Summit:

There is a skywalk connecting my building to another. The view from it is beautiful, though this picture doesn't do it justice. Its the stadium, the Tennessee River, and a few of the many bridges across the river.

For our first adventure in Knoxville we went to the Greek Fest. Its quite the big deal here and it was a fun mini-adventure. Here's me in front of the Greek Orthodox Church.
Our Greek food.
It was also game day in Knoxville, so there was a lot of orange to go along with the Greek. (Its too bad Tennessee's football is terrible this year. And BYU is doing AMAZING! We're so sad we're missing it.)
Greek dancers behind us.
We'd talk to one Greek person and they'd say "Every thing on My Big Fat Greek Wedding is a lie" and the next person would say "Everything on My Big Fat Greek Wedding is true". ha ha
Chris enjoying a baklava sundae.
The inside of the church was really beautiful.

Well, that's how we are doing. Things are great. Its nice to be settled in for the stay.

2 comments:

Karen Thomas said...

i still wouldn't want to meet up with pat in a dark alley.

Caroline said...

Oh how I love your red couches! Or should I say Chesterfield? (Canadian for couch).