Monday, October 6, 2008

Special Special Day

Well, I'm not gonna lie. Today is a pretty special day. It's been 22 years since I first showed up in this world. And since this day in 1986 was such a major event, I wondered what this day held in years past. Nowhere better to look than trusty Wikipedia. So, some major events on October 6:

1582 - Due to the implementation of the Gregorian calendar, this day is skipped in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain. What?! How tragic. No October 6?! I can't imagine.

1683 - William Penn brings 13 German immigrant families to the colony of Pennsylvania, marking the first German people to immigrate to America. Ok! Pennsylvania was settled on my birthday! I think that is the valid reason I've been looking for as to why I am a Pens fan!

1889 - Thomas Edison shows his first motion picture. Who doesn't appreciate the motion picture?

1945 - Baseball: Billy Sianis and his pet billy goat are ejected from Wrigley Field during Game 4 of the 1945 World Series (see Curse of the Billy Goat). Oh, my gosh, Chris. I'm so sorry.

1966 - LSD is declared illegal in the United States October 6th: keeping the streets clean since 1966

1987 - Fiji becomes a republic. Fiji and I are meant to come together.

2007 - Jason Lewis completes the first human-powered circumnavigation of the globe. Add that to my list of things I would never care to do.

The one somewhat meaningful person I share a birthday with? Tony Dungy, head coach of the Indianapolis Colts.

So as you can see, the world could hardly do without October 6, even before I showed up. Without October 6, we wouldn't have movies, Pennsylvania, or Fiji, the Colts wouldn't have a SuperBowl ring (in my opinion)--and everyone would be hopped up LSD.
Here's a big shout out to October 6th.


My grandma emailed me the other day and said (I hope she doesn't mind):
"Happy birthday. It is a happy memory to me that I was there on the day you were born. I walked past the nursery window and saw your Dad kneeling by your crib looking so intently at his little daughter is still a sweet memory."

I'm happy I'm here.

8 comments:

Michael said...

You are so right--we could never do without October 6th!

Caroline said...

Happy Birthday Erin. We sure love you and are glad we have been able to be a part of your life. Thanks for being great!

sam and kyrsten said...

happy happy birthday! i hope you have a fabulous one! go do something fun!

Amy Jane said...

HAAAAppy Birthday!! And in honor of Thomas Edison, and his awesome creation on your day of birth a million years ago, I hope you see a fun motion picture =)

Karen Thomas said...

i like to think i had something to do with your greatness, but i really can't take any credit. you are fabulous all by yourself. i am glad we were together on that first october 6th.

Karen Thomas said...

Thanks to you and your grandma for sharing that memory. I thought you were a miracle. You mentioned Elder Holland's "angels" talk last evening. During one of his broadcasts several years ago, Paul Harvey said he had two angels that resided in his home. I remember thinking, "so do I."

Lauren Davison said...

And we are so happy you are here, too! :) HOORAY!

Jason and Jessie said...

Erin... I have to disagree. The best day by far is March 23. Sorry! I guess that your birth day can be in the top 10. ;)