Tuesday, October 14, 2008

You'd Think I was 11 Years-Old

I know a blog is not a place for deep confessions,
but I have one I must get off my chest.
I am more excited to see this
than this

No, I'm not kidding.
Yes, that is embarrassing.
But I've got good reasoning.
And here it is . . .
Good Reasoning #1: This is Carlisle Cullen.
Are you kidding me?? Carlisle was utter perfection in my imagination. He was better than Edward. If I got to pick (oops, I mean, had to pick, and Chris wasn't an option) I would have chosen Carlisle over Edward. My Carlisle was a perfected young Robert Redford. And they pick this guy? The casting of Carlisle alone would be reason enough to avoid the movie.
Good Reasoning #2-HSM3 is going to the big screen, and it has a bigger budget than ever. It actually looks reasonably cool in the previews (I'm talking about the dancing and movie-making here, not the story). The movie production seems to be a much higher quality and everything is bigger and better thanks to the new and improved budget. Its like HSM on steroids--how could that possibly be a bad thing?
Good Reasoning#3-Twilight the movie is an adaptation of Twilight the book--and movies are almost never as good as the book. [The only reason I even put the almost in there is because of Jurassic Park; other than that, I've never seen a movie as good as the book.] And to make matters worse, I adore Twilight (the book) and I care a lot about the perfect little Twilight world in my head and don't feel at all like having it be ruined by MTV Movies, of all people. I don't know if I can sit through it.
Good Reasoning #4- HSM3 is a return to the glory days of Zac and Vanessa before Hollywood turned them into this:
They were so cute and squeaky clean in the first movie. They've gone all crazy since then, but the characters they play in HSM (Troy and Gabriella) require that squeaky clean image. They'll be at their Disney best in HSM3. So while pictures of them in gossip magazines make me throw up in my mouth a little bit, I can't help but love Troy and Gabriella and all their innocent glory.
Good Reasoning #5- They cannot blow HSM3. Its supposed to be kiddish, supposed to be Disney and warm and fuzzy and corny. You are supposed to take it for what it is and enjoy it nonetheless. But Twilight--a crappy Twilight movie could shatter the only alternate reality I've truly had the desire to be a part of. This sounds like the same reason as #3, but it really is different. This is about expectations. I only expect out of HSM3 what I got out of the first two: catchy songs, silly puppy love story, a cute Troy Bolton, and that awkward feeling you get when you enjoy something that you shouldn't because you're not 11-years-old anymore. But Twilight--Twilight's expectations are huge, because I expect what I got out of the book. Heart pounding, tears, big goofy grins, staying up til 2 am to read during midterms, thinking about characters as if they are real . . . caring about characters as if they are real. The movie cannot possibly measure up. And that is something I don't think my heart could take.
Oh, and Edward is not drop-dead, I-want-to-cry-every-time-I-think-of-you gorgeous like he should be (Good Reasoning #6).

1 comment:

Amy Jane said...

OH my gosh I so agree. I am not a fan of the Twilight casting, almost all of them actually. AND - an even BETTER reason to be excited about HSM3 - my little brother is in it! He is an extra, but still! He is in a cafeteria scene, walks across the stage in a graduation scene and a basketball scene...sweeeet. I think you just inspired me to write a post about it. :)