Wednesday, June 23, 2010

blood, sweat, and tears.

On Sunday I was talking to my dad and he asked "So what are you guys up to these days?"
My answer? "We spend about 6 hours a day watching soccer."
Its true.
BUT  . . . we do pay attention to our little Wild Thing, and we had to go to the grocery store a few times.
You see, I'm not going to feel guilty for indulging in a little lazy nothingness with my man for a bit.
After the 2 years of craziness we just endured, and the 4 years of even crazierness ahead, I think we deserve it.
Anyway . . . speaking of watching 6 hours of soccer a day.
[Carly's baby-sized World Cup ball.]
We do love us some World Cup. There is nothing quite like it.
We love us some Alexi Lalas, former US soccer star and current ESPN/ABC soccer analyst.
I was watching him a few days ago thinking,
His hair reminds me of someone.
But who?
Then it hit me.
The child was born to be a soccer player.
~
So this morning was the big US game. There were a lot of scenarios, but really the US needed to win in order to make it through to the next round. I started my morning off with GF waffles topped with strawberries and bananas (did I mention my husband is the bomb diggity?) and settled in to watch the game. It was a crazy one. I will spare you a play-by-play, but it was intense and I was getting emotionally invested. It was still tied 0-0 as stoppage time began. The US looked like they were out. But in the 91st minute, Landon Donovan scored a goal to send the US to the next round, winners of their group.
~
I tell you, quite a bit of screaming commenced in the C House.
We jumped and yelled and I ran to Chris and jumped into his arms.
Sometimes I wish we had a constant video recording us because we are so cool.
This was one of those times.
Our celebration looked something like this:
Only significantly less awkward (hopefully).
Chris then returned to watch the replay on TV.
I followed him, but he didn't realize it, so he swung around to continue the jumping, and I kid you not, hit me so hard in the face with his big muscular arm. I felt a buzz go through my head and I dropped to the ground. Things went a bit black for a second and I could taste blood. Yes, he drew blood. I had tears in my eyes. Tears of joy from our victory, tears of pain from getting hit in the face.
It was a glorious morning.
There is nothing quite like the World Cup.

5 comments:

Lauren Davison said...

HAHAH! Oh, I love it. That would have been a fabulous video indeed! Sorry about your face. Kirby accidentally slammed his knee into my nose once during a tickle fight. Lots of blood. So I guess I can sort of relate. ;)

Unknown said...

That is sad about your face, but I can't lie, it made me laugh. I hope it's feeling better. And it was a good game there at the end! Lish was so excited!

Taryn said...

Kind of laughing out loud right now. Sorry to find joy in your pain, but it is just too funny :) Sadly we just listened to the game, but it was still pretty sweet!

The Apron Gal said...

that is such a crazy funny story! hope your face has recovered!

Michael said...

That man needs to be careful with his guns. Those are dangerous weapons. And the soccer outfit on Carly is the cutest. She's going to be the belle of the field in a few years.