Wednesday, June 16, 2010

the reader.

When we were in Idaho [ummm . . . almost a month ago? Has it really been that long?] we had lots of people around to entertain/feed/care for Carly. In all our spare time, Chris and I spent a fare amount of time reading. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and wondered why I didn't read more. Then I got home and was alone with Carly again . . . and then I remembered why I didn't read more. Ha!
~
I was once a reader. I love a quality book. Chris and I enjoyed our reading time in Idaho so much, and our visit to a used book store there, that we decided to pay a visit to a popular used bookstore here in Kville. This bookstore was about 20 times larger than the one in Idaho, and we spent entirely too long in there surfing the shelves for the perfect read, while Carly hung around in the babybjorn. 

We walked away with some fun prizes, priced between 25 cents [!] and $4. Can't beat that.
~
My current stack. Can  you tell I love history/politics?
I just finished Pope Joan and am now about 80 pages into Queen Noor's autobiography. Technically, I'm a member of my sister-in-law's online book club, but since my pregnancy and having Carly, I have found it hard to keep up. My mom keeps up well though, and she recommended and let me borrow her copy of Pope Joan, which the club read several months ago. It was definitely a quality read, though difficult to swallow at some points.
And I'm currently loving Queen Noor. It has turned out to be quite a bit of history and political science on the Middle East, with a bit of light romance and family mixed in.
~
Anyway, my point? I'm reviving little pieces of myself, one bit at a time. I think it is all too easy to start to lose yourself in a baby, in motherhood. You quite literally devote all your time and energy into this tiny person (and save a bit for your husband), that it is no wonder mothers forget to take care of themselves and forget to develop their own hobbies and interests. For so long after having Carly I felt a little like that . . . I didn't work out (well, couldn't for a long time), didn't read, didn't listen to music, didn't follow my Pens (blasphemy!). But I'm feeling like I'm back. I'm still 100% mommy, but I've discovered I can be 100% Erin too.
~
Any recommendations for a quality read?
I'll add it to my pile.

4 comments:

Laura and family said...

Redeeming Love is by far the best book I have EVER read. Biblically based on the book of Hosea in the Old Testament, but set in the 1850s. Amazing and I think it fits your "niche" too.

Lanenga Family said...

I've been doing book club since Kaden's been 2 months old and it's great because Matt (usually) gets his alone time with Kaden and I get my own time. Hunger Games series is good--just a fun read, nothing deep. I really liked "Two from Galilee" about Mary and Joseph. It made me think about them as people. "Asher Lev" Jewish culture and very interesting. Lots of books out there. good luck.

Collin, Traci, Cam, and Alyssa said...

I'm currently in the 'lost myself' stage. I remember when Cam was about Carly's age and I realized I no longer felt like a zombie all the time, my house was semi-clean most of the time, and I started enjoying things I used to enjoy again. A few months later I got pregnant, and the cycle began again. I love the idea of reading a book....maybe in a few months :)

Cami and Juan said...

I read Pope Joan with Camie's book club and thoroughly enjoyed it. My 2 favorite books as of late: The Book Thief and The Help. I read them both in the past few years and I am still thinking about them. My favorite books are the ones with excellent character development.