Wednesday, November 10, 2010

a place for carly {part deux}.

When we found out Shay was on her way, I decided to make her and Carly matching cousin blankets.
Remember, I'm not much of a sew-er, but one of my personal favorite types of baby blanket is two pieces of flannel sewn together (easy!). Warm and heavy, but thin and flat. Perfect for snuggling as well as tummy time. Someone gave me one at my baby shower. My imitations are crude, but they are still the kind of blankets Carly sleeps with. Anywho, Shay and Carly are both getting use out of their cousin blankets (I can't even believe how tiny little Shay is. Her blanket is half the size of Carly's!):
~
~
I know you have all been anxiously awaiting pictures of Carly's new room.
Ha!
I love decorating her room.
Its a low-budget room, of course, but its still a special place.
Remember her nursery?
We could feel the Spirit so strong there.
Like it was a holy place.
That Spirit still resides.
Only its got more of a wild thing twist on it.
~
I decided to make her a "little girl" room instead of a baby room.
Using brighter colors and "kid" objects rather than "baby" ones.
Something she could grow into.
All the pictures were taken at night, so the color is lame.
Sorry.
But we painted her accent wall a bright sky blue.
Its quite cute.
I wanted something bright that would bring summer into Michigan's dreary winters.
I also wanted something that could be flexible should a little brother show up.
We were going to paint the whole room.
But everything we paint we have to prime back when we move out.
So we went with the accent wall.
I re-painted her shelf and name letters, covering the pale teal with bright purple.
It was kind of an emotional experience, leaving the baby behind and embracing the little girl.
I also packed away her crib bedding for later use.
But a fabulous crib sheet can make an impact too, I'd say.
I painted the sign above her bookshelf and do not like it at all.
Its one of my favorite quotes, from Coco Chanel.
I wish her name could have fit on it, because I think that makes it better.
Luckily, the canvas came on sale in a two-pack, so we'll give it another go eventually.
{I would like to formally thank Target, TJ Maxx, Goodwill,
and my parents for making this room possible.}
~
Carly likes it too.
Every day she points at the table and chairs and grunts her demanding grunt.
My chair is the yellow one.
Hers is the white one.
Yesterday we sat at the table and drew a 'welcome home' sign for daddy.
Most of the time the floor is covered with books
and stuffed animal friends
and toys
and clothes
and blankets
and bibs
and dishtowels.
Just as it should be.

7 comments:

Lauren Davison said...

LOVE IT. So fun. And I love love love the damask sheet in her crib!!!!

The Apron Gal said...

looks great! very impressive :) and i love the coco quote!

sam and kyrsten said...

her room is darling. and i love the sign. i must say you have fabulous handwriting. everything looks so cute! and i love the sky blue accent wall. amazing what a little bit of paint can do.

Taryn said...

Cute, cute! I am not really ready to tackle transitioning Stell's room to a more functional one. Instead we just play downstairs for now :)

Rebecca said...

I found your blog! Awesome! I love cute little Carly!

Rebecca said...

You are so creative. I love the blue.

Laura said...

love it!! so cute! I like that you did the painting yourself. also love the crib sheet! spicy!!

oh and i second loving the baby blankets you make. it's our favorite!!