Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Girl Who Cried Wean.

Warning: this post is about breastfeeding. I will avoid giving you TMI, but it is still an “earthy” subject, as my mother says. Know you were warned.
~
Disclaimer: I do not care how you feed your child. I know every parent does what is best for their situation, and that is great. I am also fully aware of the benefits of breastfeeding. If I wasn’t, Carly would have been formula fed after about 3 days. This is just my view, my experience. I’d love to hear yours.
~
I can’t believe its taken me six whole months to write a post on something that has been a bit consuming for me since Carly was born. Oh, the adventure of breastfeeding. And the girl who cried wean? That’s definitely me.
~
I once thought everyone breastfed. I thought it was stages: breastfeed, formula, baby food, real food. I also thought breastfeeding was easy. Pop the baby on, she eats for a bit, and then is good for several hours. Then I got pregnant and started reading all sorts of stuff on how very wrong I was. But I also read about the extraordinary benefits of breast milk. I never really considered not breastfeeding. I knew it was good for mom and for baby. I heard it was hard, but I knew that having a baby would be hard.
~
I seriously can’t remember if I breastfed Carly right away after birth. I mean, I know I didn’t when she was all slimy. But I can’t remember if I did before they took her away to get checked out. Seemed like she would have been hungry, right? And I told them no bottles and no pacifiers. So maybe I did.
~

The first few times I remember breastfeeding Carly were no easy task. Her first day she was not interested in food. She wanted to sleep (sounds like her mother). The nurse would bring her in and Carly would latch on and take a few drinks and fall asleep. I could not get her to stay awake. The nurse would jab her in the ribs and she would eat a bit more then fall asleep. I was so freaked out that she would starve to death. They have all these rules about how brand new newborns need to eat, and I’m sure they are important, but in hindsight babies cry when they are hungry. They don’t sleep. Babies demand what they need. So next time around I won’t be so worried about the rules.
~
I remember when we took Carly to the doctor for the first time when she was two days old. We were late and she of course wanted to eat. I was in pain and having a hard time adjusting to breastfeeding, so it was something I just couldn’t face. I had a little pumped milk that I had pumped to relieve pressure (oh, when the milk comes in. Isn’t that wonderful?) so I heated it up and poured it down her throat using a medicine spoon. Can you believe that? I was desperate and I had been told if I introduced a bottle too early she wouldn’t nurse. But she fell right to sleep. Should have used that trick more often.
~
I was told to try to avoid offering a bottle until she was three weeks old. I remember the night before her three week mark I was exhausted and she wouldn’t eat and we were both crying and it was like 4 am. Chris finally convinced me to give her a bottle of breast milk and I was terrified she would never nurse again. She took it. And slept. And nursed the next morning. Guess that one day didn’t make a difference.
~
Carly was a good breast feeder early though. I was lucky. I mean it was painful for a good 6 weeks, but that’s normal (whoever says 2 weeks is setting new moms up for disappointment). There was never chewing or colic or reflux or gas or any other of the million problems babies can have. She just wanted to eat ALL the time. Like 20 minutes to an hour apart. I was going insane. The situation was worsened by the fact that she started to sleep through the night at 4 weeks old. A blessing, for sure, but she had to make up for lost eating time. It was hard to get used to. I just sat on the couch for two months feeding her. Every day I texted Chris with something like “I can’t do this anymore. Lets just switch to formula” or “I’m going insane. Why is she always eating?”. Chris was very supportive and said he knew I could do it, but was fine if I wanted to stop. He is a great support. What kept me going at first? My pediatrician. She would tell me how great it was I was breastfeeding and how much Carly would benefit from it. But she never said it like I would be a loser if I stopped. I don’t know what it was. She was just gifted about subtly cheering me on, and after every visit I was like “Yeah, I can keep going!” But I’m pretty sure there was not a day in four months that I didn’t consider switching to formula.
~
But somewhere around 3 months I realized things were evening out and calming down. She was still a frequent eater, but I was learning how to handle it. We were in a groove.
~
At 5 ½ months in I was loving the breastfeeding life. No bottles to wash, no pain, she was a pro, no preparation. We were good, she was sleeping through the night, and we were soon to incorporate solids.
~
Then it struck. The RSV.
~
Carly would not nurse for one second when she was sick. Complete nursing strike. I was pumping to keep things going and keep Carly on breast milk. There are few things in this world I hate more than pumping. To make matters worse, my electric pump gave out right then and I was hand pumping. Fabulous. (Medela sent us a new one for free. Isn’t that nice?) Anyway, with the hand pump it was impossible to keep up and she was getting about 50/50 breast milk and formula. She did not nurse for 8 days. By then, she had learned there were much easier ways to get milk. When she got better I tried nursing her again with decreasing luck. At first she wouldn’t nurse for more than a few minutes, and now she won’t nurse for more than a few seconds. Awesome. So at this time I’m pumping full time, and giving her one maybe two bottles of formula a day. I’m not sure how long it will last. Remember how much I hate pumping?
~
I haven’t yet started to miss nursing. We had an enjoyable 6 months, but when it comes to a baby eating or not eating, I choose eating. I think she is at a stage where we can snuggle and play and have lots of other experiences together so that the closeness you feel when you nurse isn’t quite as integral, though it is something I cherished when she was tiny. I do HATE having a bunch of bottles to clean every day. As if I don’t have a hard enough time keeping up with dishes. And I hate having to heat breast milk or mix formula. Seriously love the ready-made meals of breastfeeding. At this point I’m debating whether to just switch to formula instead of pumping. But if I can’t nurse her, I still like knowing I am giving her nutrition she can’t get anywhere else. I still try to get her to latch on a few times a day. Maybe she will snap out of if and start nursing again? Not sure I’m that lucky.
~Things I do like? I feel a bit freer. Not worried about if what I’m wearing is breastfeeding-friendly. I went wedding dress shopping and to lunch with some friends from Chris’s program today. I left Carly with Chris for FOUR hours. That is seriously the longest I’ve been away from her. It was a fabulous afternoon. Something I really needed. Minus the pumping, feeding her with a bottle is WAY faster than breastfeeding her. It only takes like 10 minutes to put her to bed now when it once took almost an hour! And she has been sleeping longer. Ten to twelve hours! And I’ve actually been getting her to take naps. Goodness, maybe I should have been pumping this whole time!
~
Well that is my adventure. I’m grateful that I’ve been able to nurse Carly. It really is a gift only a mother can give. And I think next time around I’ll be more prepared for what to expect, though I have no idea how I’ll manage nursing with little-girl Carly running around!
~
Now a request for advice. 1) We use Dr Brown bottles and really love them. We received a set as a gift so we only have a few and I’m constantly washing bottles, so we need more. But they are SO expensive. Do you think if Carly shows no signs of gasiness then an regular old bottle would work fine, or do you think its best to stick with what we know works? 2) Any tips for make bottle/formula feeding quicker/easier? Like if Carly wakes up in the night, how do I quickly feed her before she wakes up too much. I used to go in and pop her on the breast before she got too alert. At this point I prefer giving her a warm bottle, though that may change if I switch to formula.
~
The end.

10 comments:

Taryn said...

So let's be honest... I have a 4 week old so I am by no means any sort of expert. Bf was what I was most nervous for becoming a mom. I know that is kind of weird, but I think being a dietitian and working for the WIC I knew going in it was for sure the best thing for baby, but also really hard but also totally possible if you are willing to work at it. So far Stella has been doing pretty well. She has started having some spit up issues, but otherwise doing good. I was going to avoid bottles and pacifiers for a month, but she got the bink in the hospital and I started pumping and giving a bottle a week later. I don't really feel like it hurt her ability to succesfuly bf at all. I actually think the bink helped her learn to suck better. Last week I was feeling pretty overwhelmed with bf. It really does feel like that is ALL I do and I am even pumping and giving a bottle once or twice a day. Speaking of bottles what are these dr. Brown variety. Call me uneducated but I have never heard of them. And we have been trying to find some variety that reduces her spit up. Okay she slept 7 hrs again so she might be like carly in that sense. I know you said she wanted to eat often after that. Did your dr tell you she should eat that often to compensate? And how did your breasts handle that change from every few hours to 6-7??okay this is long enough but just thought I would ask you a few questions. And I think you did great bf for as long as you did!!!! She was able to receive lots of benefits for as long as you did it and will be totally fine if you decide to completely stop. But I think you know that :)

Casey and Kristi said...

I had to stop breastfeeding Olivia at 8 months becasue I dried up. It was kinda weird but I guess my body was just done. We used the Dr. Brown bottles too because they were a present but like you, we did not want to buy more because they were SO expensive!! We used regular bottles and Olivia never had problems, just make sure you burp her of course. And with the late night feedings, we were told you can make a formula bottle and it can be out for about 8 hours at room temperature. So make it before you go to bed, leave it out, and then at 3 AM it isn't as bad to make and heat. We were done with night time feedings when I switched so I could be remembering this way wrong so you should probably check with your Dr. But good luck!!!! She is such a doll!!!

...... said...

I pumped for 6 weeks until I got mastitis and had to stop. Hadleigh didn't latch so we had to give her a bottle. After that she did pretty well eating ALL the time too! I think that Carly would be ok using any old bottle. Hadleigh only drinks about 4 6 oz bottles a day now that we have been feeding more and more baby food. I would try substituting rice cereal for 1 meal. We did that with Hadleigh and now she eats "real" food for lunch and dinner!

We bought 2 formula holder things that are split up into 3 sections. We pre-fill them every morning to make sure Hads' formula is measured out right. I also pre fill all the bottles before bed so in the middle of the night I can pop the top of the formula holder thing off and then take the bottle top off, pour, shake, feed!

If you need more clarifying on the holder thingy just facebook me and I will post pictures... GOOD LUCK!

Stacey said...

I don't have any great advice, because I haven't really been in your situation. But I will tell you this...weaning for me has been THEE hardest part of nursing. I have been breastfeeding Tayden for a year now, and still working on weaning. He is completely on solids during the day, he drops those feedings like it was no big deal. But the last two, right before bed and in the morning while Scott is getting ready for school (it helps Tayden relax while Daddy is moving around) have been so hard. Plus, it doesn't help that he has been so sick for 2 1/2 weeks, nursing really is his comfort. So I will tell you this. There is a silver lining. Maybe, weaning her right now while she is ready will save you loads of trouble in the months to come. Go with the flow and let Carly decide what she is ready for. Plus, like you said, there is so joy peace in freedom! Whatever you do, it will be right for your daughter, because you are her mom and know what is best!!! Good Luck!

Lauren Davison said...

Phew! I will try to keep this brief:

First off, you might as well try feeding her from a normal cheap-o bottle and see if she does fine. I mean, if it's like a $2 bottle, it's worth a shot, right? We got some Playtex brand bottle in a free sample bag that Kirby likes. It has some fancy air system that is supposed to reduce burp issues. I don't know how expensive it would be to buy, though.

When Kirby is planning to take a shift at night, he puts one of the bags of frozen milk in a bowl of warm water in the fridge. That way it thaws, but then will be refrigerated afterwards. Then he just has to warm it up. Once the milk is thawed in the bag, it warms up pretty quick when set in warm water. It takes WAY longer to warm it when it's already in a bottle, though! I don't know how you store your pumped milk, but I LOVE the Lansinoh brand storage bags.

Anyhoo, I'm done. I could probably go on and on about breastfeeding, but that's not the point. If I feel the urge, I'll write my own post. ;) No need to write it on your comment page, right? :)

Collin, Traci, Cam, and Alyssa said...

My baby weaned himself at six months to! I must say, you have an amazing attitude about it, I have a lot to learn from you. I felt like a failure because I didn't make my 1 year goal, when looking back it just mattered that he ate at that point. I had a dietician give me all sorts of advice about how to get him interested in bf again but none of them worked for Cam, he'd made up his mind and I wasn't willing to fight with him over it, I just wanted him to eat. Cam went straight from bf to a soft top sippie cup (he wouldn't take a bottle) and he did just fine, so I don't think it matters as much what kind of bottle they use at that age. Good luck, I appreciate posts like this because it makes me feel like I'm not alone, bf is hard for lots of people.

Bradley and Nicole said...

Ok so Carson and Carly are very close in age and really I stopped breast feeding him at 4? months and Ive loved EVERY second of it. He was always so fussy when I would feed him and he we werent good at it. Lets just face it a girl needs a break from her baby once in awhile and just be YOU! So I just went cold turkey.... so painful for like a day. Carson is like a brand new baby ha well just much happier! I honestly enjoy him more (sounds horrible I know). We used Dr. Brown bottles and I was told they were THE best bottles so I have a ton of them and well Carson hates them! So I now just use the soothie brand and he loves those...well he still has to use a nipple shield (TMI) see I told you we sucked at nursing he is the worlds most STUBBORN child! ANways I have gone on and on about pretty much nothing but yes I think your fine to try other bottles. Good LUCK you will do great!

Call Commotion said...

Shaef is on all Formula and has been since he was 6 months old because I was working full time and pretty much lost my milk. I didn't LOVE bf either and now I formula is killing the wallet! So...for me the grass is always greener...! Anyway - We love the Playtex Drop In bottles because you wash the nipples but throw the bag away. Supposidly it is supposed to resemble the mom - Totally worth every penny!

Dusty and Jenny Willis said...

We used Dr. Brown bottles for pretty much ten months. Jessa only nursed for about two months and then we went to those bottles. We love love loved those bottles. Jessa had reflux so so bad and was lactose intolerant so we had major spit up and upset tummy issues. Which is what those bottles help with. If Carly doesn't have spit up issues she should be okay with a regular ol bottle! If you decide to quit nursing I suggest getting a sippy cup and give her a feeding using that So she can get used to it. WE're currently having issues getting completely rid of Jessa's bottle. SHe still gets one at night!! BUt good luck!! ULtimately whatever you decide to do is what's best for the both of you!!

Jessica said...

You know my mother was unalble to breastfeed and so I was never exposed to it and asumed I wouldn't be able to. I was able to! Great news, sure but I think I cried and cired over the pain for two months. I remember feeding jack during the night thinking my nipples were going to rip right off, there were moments that were truly awful but then as it got easier I really began to love it. I was able to nurse jack till he was 11 months and I was very ready to be done at that time.
I really don't think it matters; the breast, the bottle or formula. I think what makes you the happiest will make your baby happy.