Tuesday, February 23, 2010

how to be crafty when you're not really crafty.

tip 1. start small. I want to sew things. Two problems: 1) a sewing machine doesn't fit in our budget right now, and 2) I don't technically know how to use a sewing machine. So I decided to start small and work my way up. Carly has a few cute flower headbands all given to us by others. So I decided to try to make one with a slightly smaller flower since Chris isn't a fan of the massive flowers.


tip 2. cheap supplies. Remember how a sewing machine isn't in our budget? Well, neither are craft supplies. So I went looking around what we already had. Carly had this headband, but whenever I put it on her she looked like Olivia Newton John singing "Let's Get Physical" so she didn't get much use out of it. I then journeyed to JoAnn's and found fake flowers on sale, so I got some pink daisies for a dollar. I just popped the back off and had layers of petals.

tip 3. strategize. I was making it up as I went along, so I decided to hot glue the petals together and then sew the flower onto the headband. mistake #1.

tip 4. don't be afraid to learn new things. I found out that dried hot glue is very hard to push a needle through. After many holes in my finger tips and a bent needle, I finally got TWO stitches through. I called it good.
tip 5. know your materials. The final cute accent was to be a white button in the middle of the flower. So I once again manned my hot-glue gun and fired. Turns out hot glue is hotter and runnier and stickier than I prepared for. My punctured fingers were soon covered in a layer of burning glue. And the button meant for the headband ended up glued to my finger instead.

tip 6. have extra supplies. That was my only button. And it was now covered with unremovable dried hot glue. I went searching through my random messy storage containers and found some fake pearls that I used at New Beginning last year. Perfect.

tip 7. take pride in your work. Consider finding a better place to show off the final product than your husband's Aaronic Priesthood manual.tip 8. the customer is always right. Comfy adorable headband without petals that hang in her face? Yes, indeed.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute!!

Taryn said...

Very cute! And no, I haven't made a single one of Stella's headbands. Just have nice friends and sisters who do that for me. I want to make some soon though. Now I am inspired!

beckster said...

My niece is the cutest little girl ever! Especially with headbands fashioned by her mama!

Lauren Davison said...

I. LOVE. IT. !!! Holy smokes! Gonna attempt this... tomorrow? :)

The Fishers said...

SUPER CUTE!!! You're so creative!

Karen Thomas said...

carly seems very please with her new headband. tres cute

Stacey said...

You ARE SO creative! Seriously, you got some mad skills lady! Love it!

WeBeR FaM said...

That turned out so cute!

Laura and family said...

I want to hire you to make Claire one, ha ha. CUTE!

Laura said...

Such a cute headband for such a cute baby! Very nice!!!

Joni said...

Erin, I had to laugh at your glue gun stories. They were very good. The head band is so cute. Even cuter with the pearls so that was a great way to fix a problem. You can get very good headbands at the dollor store and flowers there too. Also, cut old buttoms off clothes you are getting rid of and you can cut up old sweaters and use the wrist bands and neck piece as a head band too. I also gor Kyrstens sewing machine on overstock.com for only 59 dollars. It is a brother. I bought myself another one too cause I have had mine since I graduated. Keep up the good work. Sorry if I am blog stocking you. I love to read about all of you new mothers and I do love your mother so much too. Have fun, Joni