Wednesday, February 10, 2010

six months old.

Miss Carly . . .
AKA

Car
Carly Q
Carly Bug
Snuggle Buggle
Snug
Cracken
Nudey Cutie Patootie (bath time)
Wild Thing
Shmarly

Is anyone else in total shock that this girl has been around for half a year?
Maybe its just me.
~


Carly, at six months old you are . . .

*sitting up all by yourself! It’s so crazy to watch you sit up and play with toys. You now prefer sitting up to any other position and often try to sit up while I’m changing your diaper.

*a full-blown thumb-sucker. I’m already worrying about the cost of your orthodontia.

*such a daddy’s girl. When he gets home you kick your legs and flail your arms and smile and screech so loud. You love that daddy.

*starting to snuggle on purpose. When you’re tired of just want some love you wine until I pick you up and then you put your head on my shoulder and snuggle. When you snuggle with daddy you put your hand on his face.

*still energetic and funny. We call you “wild thing” because you just wiggle and talk and screech and smile and grab at everything.

*reaching for specific things, not just whatever is there. You will pass up one toy because you specifically want the other one. You especially like things you’re not supposed to have, like the remote control, camera, and mommy’s cell phone.

*probably needing to be eating more solid foods than you are. You get rice cereal occasionally, but I’ve had a harder time adjusting to solids than you have.

*becoming so interactive. You laugh when we tickle you and even giggled when daddy put something on his head to be funny. You’re more and more like a little girl every day.

*our greatest source of joy. There are no words to express our love for you.

Happy 6 months, Car. We’re glad you joined us.

~~~

Its been a slightly emotional day for me today. I know its only half a year, but still, its half a year! I’ve been flashing back a lot to the day Carly was born. I announced her arrival here, and told the story here, but here are a few more memories that I don’t want to forget.

Since my doctor was out of town when I went into labor, Carly was delivered by someone else. The first time I met him I was having strong contractions. He came in and I was crying from the pain. He said something about getting me comfortable so I could stop crying. Skip forward 5 hours and he came in to deliver Carly. I was crying because its so emotional, knowing your baby is about to come. I was so excited and overwhelmed and exhausted. “Oh, no! You’re still crying!” Dr R said as he got ready to deliver her. “I know, but this time its happy crying” I replied. “Ok, we can do happy crying around here.” Carly was born seconds later.

Carly’s birth will forever be intertwined in my head with Jimmy Johns. A Jimmy Johns turkey and ham lettuce wrap was the first thing I ate after having her. There was a JJ’s not far from the hospital, so after they took Carly to get checked out, Chris ran and got us some food. I didn’t eat deli meat my entire pregnancy, and had planned for some time that this would be my first meal. It is so funny to think back, Chris and I just sitting in the delivery room eating JJ’s. So strange our how much our lives had just changed.

One of the things I loved most about Carly’s birth was that just Chris and I were there when she was born, and just the 3 of us came home from the hospital for the first 3 days. I love that those precious moments were shared with just us. It was hard, for sure, but I think it gave Chris and I some confidence as parents. The first day of her life, especially, is very sacred to me and I’m grateful for that time we had at the very beginning of our journey as a family. Not to say that needs to be repeated. Mom, you’re still invited next time around :)
~~~
This morning Carly and I did our monthly photo shoot. She was a little less “in the mood” this morning than usual. But I tried to get some extra shots since it was for her half-birthday. Here are her homemade 6 month pictures:

12 comments:

Karen Thomas said...

she is fabulous

beckster said...

Oh my gosh, she looks so OLD!!! How is that possible when I was just there two weeks ago?!?!?

Lauren Davison said...

Dear Erin...

Have I mentioned that I LOVE your homemade photo shoots? I really do. I think it's brilliant. And you do a great job, too! And your daughter is adorable. Nuff said. :)

The Apron Gal said...

she is beautiful. so so sad that we still have not gotten to meet her. you both should be so proud! congrats! also i cant wait to have a baby so i can have photo shoots too!

Lisa C said...

She is so adoreable!

Lisa C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

She is gorgeous! I love the photos.

Lindsey Rasmussen said...

She is seriously adorable!! Does she have red hair?? I can't tell!

Taryn said...

She is so so cute, Erin! And the last three posts I have read today have been about babies growing up and I am not liking the fact that is going to be happening to mine sometime soon :) And I was sooo hungry after having Stella, but I couldn't eat for like a day and a half because of the c-section. My first meal included a deli meat sandwich :)

Cami and Juan said...

You are so good at taking pictures and I LOVE the outfit changes. You capture her beautiful eyes so well.

Lanenga Family said...

Great job on the photo shoot--I do so badly! It's funny, I was starving my entire labor and afterwards matt got some burgers, and I didn't want anything to to with them! I did drink cup after cup of water but for some reason I just couldn't eat. I did eat a hearty breakfast the next day though :).

Laura said...

She is so beautiful! Just lovely.

If you need a babysitter, Kase and I are always up for it!