Thursday, February 18, 2010

it's 4 am

it's 4 am and I'm sitting here with miss shmarly.
miss shmarly with a high temperature.
yes, I believe I'm about to pull my first all-nighter with a fevered child.
immunization side effects are lame.
~
we pulled the computer open to find some tips on helping fevered babies.
but I wanted to remember this.
~
I wanted to remember how I spent the first half of the night grumpy.
How I kept going in to sooth her for a few minutes or seconds and hoping she would fall asleep on her own. That's how it usually works.
I wanted to remember how I prayed a little prayer of patience and went in and picked her up.
How her hot little hands felt on my cheeks.
How she pressed her fiery forehead to my neck and whimpered.
~
I wanted to remember how we snuggled in bed (since I forced Chris to get some sleep on the couch around 3) and how she held my hand and smiled. She takes sickness so well. Always smiling.
~
I wanted to remember how her warm cheeks melted my hard heart.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Ok now I am all teary eyed at work at my desk. That's what I get for blog reading at work I guess. This was very sweet. I hope Carly feels better today!

Lauren Davison said...

Oh, poor smarly. I hope she feels better soon! And I hope Emily handles fevers that well!!

Laura and family said...

Funny how I read this the first time at 4 am my time (5 yours.) Guess it was one of those nights! Said a little prayer for sweet Carly and yourself... and hoping she feels better by now!