Saturday, February 13, 2010

the one i fancy.

Like Carly's festive kicks? I thought they were appropriate.

I met the one I fancy in September 2005.
I was 18.
I thought I had felt love before.
Turns out I hadn't.
Until I met him.

We're going on our 5th Valentine's Day together.
We're not really Valentine's people.
1st year. I heart attacked his car (we were dating, obviously)
2nd year. Provo restaurants packed. Not-so-great Korean food.
3rd year. He worked late at the MTC. Pizza picnic in our living room.
4th year. He was gone at an academic conference.
But he did bring me back a cute Gap maternity dress.
5th year. He's gone to the same conference.
Maybe I'll have him make me my favorite corn chowder tomorrow.
I'm not one of those anti-Valentine's people.
I hate when people get on Facebook and complain about Valentine's day.
Then the next year they're in love and love the holiday.
~
No, I love the idea of Valentine's.
I just kind of think every day should be a little Valentiney.
Every day you should make an extra effort to show how much you love each other.
Every day you should be romantic.
Every day should be Valentine's Day.

Notice I said "should be".
With a 6-month-old and a masters degree to earn, we are far from
the greatest example of slowing down and appreciating each other.
Well, Chris is wonderful. I'm working on it.

We got married when I was 19.
I was going to study abroad.
I was going to get a Masters and a PhD.
I was in no hurry to find a husband.
Chris once asked if I feel like I missed out on anything, getting married when we did.
My answer was quick.
Never.
This is the best life I could ask for.
(As my baby screams for attention).
I love Chris for his humor. Oh, how he makes me laugh.
I love him because he works hard. Oh, how hard he works.
I love him because he thinks I'm beautiful in the mornings.
{I promise you, I'm not.}
I love him because he does dishes and makes dinner and takes the garbage out.
I love him because he is sensitive and considerate.
I love him because he is a people person.
I love him because he is talented and smart.
I love him because he lives close to the Spirit.
But most of all, I love him for this:

Carly is so very lucky to have him as her daddy.

And I am so very lucky to have him as my husband.

Happy Valentine's Day.

2 comments:

Lauren Davison said...

Oh, you guys are great! I love all the pictures of you! That is one thing we don't have a lot of. Pictures, yes, but not of me and Kirby together. Gotta work on that! :)

sam and kyrsten said...

great post. i got married at 19 too. dont regret it for a minute. we dont choose when we fall in love.. but im pretty happy it happened so soon!